Friday, March 2, 2007
"There was so much handwriting on the wall that even the wall fell down." Christopher Morley
A Total of 46 residential properties (condos and single family homes) sold in Key West between January 1st thru February 28th in 2007. And there were an additional 4 commercial sales. Sales are down miserably from 2005 when there were 105 residential sales during the same time period.
Almost every day the number of new listings is exceeded by the number of listings with a price reduction.
It is a good time to buy, but it is a horrible time to sell. I think there is some panic setting in. Certain areas are seeing huge price reductions such as the golf course. Units that sold for $525,000 in 2005 are now re-selling for $355,000. That is scary. The seller took a $165,000 hit plus had to pay the commission and closing costs for about $25,000, so the total loss was $190,000 for two years of ownership. That is depressing. And the sad fact is that there are several units at the golf course on the market right now in exactly the same position. And the same holds true for single family homes Key West. These "short sellers" are having a negative impact on the rest of the market and are dragging down the market as a whole, because those sales impact the entire sales dynamic.
The picture to the right is used by Permission of the artist, Kimberlee Clark.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (100)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- New & Affordable Casa Marina Estates
- Atlantic Shores to be No More this Summer
- Cents & Centsibility
- "Say Goodnight Gracie"
- Island Fever
- Dog Day Afternoon
- Windstorm Insurance Rate Reduction?
- Casa Marina Redux
- Harpoon Harry's--On the Waterfront
- Is the glass half full or half empty?
- Casa Marina Residences
- HARBOR HOUSE -- KEY WEST
- Apples and Oranges
- Gorilla My Dream
- Affordable Housing--in Key West. Are you kidding?...
- Buy KEY WEST Real Estate in Your IRA
- Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda!
- SAW 3 -- Revenge of the Nerds
- A Room with a View
- Psst! Wanna Buy a Condo?
- Deal or No Deal
- Handwriting on the Wall
- ▼ March (23)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.