Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

"Say Goodnight Gracie"



Before I moved to Key West I did the Duval Drag. That is the practice of walking up and down Duval Street every morning, afternoon, and evening. I guess I thought that the only things that ever happen in Key West occur on Duval Street. When I decided to buy here, I wondered how in the world I could go to Duval Street every evening to sustain my existence. It sincerely bothered me.

I had a couple from Great Britain back out of a deal to buy a cute-as-can-be condo on Peacon Lane because she feared Duval Street would not be enough for her. I tried to assure her that there is more to Key West than Duval. We have a real symphony, three theatres (Tennessee Williams Theatre, Waterfront Theatre, and Red Barn Theatre), the Regal Cinema (mainstream movies) and Tropic Cinema (first run and "art house" movies), the San Carlos Theatre, and many venues where concerts are performed. Then there is a plethora of seminars and events to honor notable cultural icons. During Season there is a party a night somewhere in town--usually more than one.

So last night I attended the final performance at the Tennessee Williams Theatre and the Florida Keys Community College (yep, we've got a college too!). The program was "Say Goodnight Gracie" and was performed by Don McArt who portrayed George Burns in a one man show about the late comedian's life with Gracie Allen. I'm not a critic so what I say doesn't matter. But he did mess up on a few of his lines. And then he corrected himself. He could have kept on going and nobody would have been wiser. But the audience gave him a standing ovation at the end.

Say Goodnight Gracie is a multimedia presentation that features music, images, movie clips and some sketches from the old Burn's and Allen TV program. The audience howled at some of Gracie's lines. I'll bet that half the audience was too young to know anything about her. But I'm sure they want more of Gracie now.

Going to the theatre or other cultural events in Key West is really fun, too. You always get to see old friends. And that makes going to the theatre much more enjoyable.

If you would like to know more about Key West cultural events CLICK HERE. And if you are interested in buying a home or business in Key West of the lower Keys, please CLICK HERE to checkout all mls listings and then please give me a call toll free at 1.877.778.7092.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell