Tuesday, May 15, 2007
The house pictured to the right is located right next door to mine in the Casa Maraina area of Key West. The folks who own it live in Atlanta and own several restaurants. The house is a vacation home that gets used a couple of times a year. It sits on a very large lot by Key West standards and the lot is filled with specimen palms and plants.
The house suffered major damage during Hurricane Wilma due to flooding. The house was built years ago and the ground floor was low to the ground. So the house is getting a face lift and a body lift. Two weeks ago the movers came in and within two days elevated the house six feet off the ground--it's new height.
Contractors are now building a new foundation and will lower the house onto it soon. The rest of the house will get redone as well. I will post additonal pics and comments as the construction progresses.
Although much of the Casa Marina area had about a foot or so of ocean water during Hurricane Wilma, not many homes flooded because they were built high enough off the ground not to get flooded. But I learned several years ago that certain parts of town can and do flood even during healthy rainstorms--not just hurricanes. I always make a point of asking a listing Realtor this question when he/she shows a property: Does this has flood. I insist that the buyer get a home inspection as a contingency of the purchase.
Thinking of buying a home or business, then please also think about contacting me to help you. 1-305-766-2642. CLICK HERE to checkout all mls listings for Key West and the Florida Keys.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (107)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- Spring Clearance Sale! 1318 Duncan Street
- Shipyard Condos @ Truman Annex
- 730 Passover Lane - Open House Sunday
- Investment Property on Eaton Street
- Pre-Sale Home Inspection--Key West
- Something is Happening Here, What it is Ain't Exac...
- Another One Bites the Dust
- An Uplifting Experience
- Do I have to Eat My Words?
- Recently "Solds" in Old Town
- Up, Up and Away
- Herd on the Beach
- Buy This Old House
- Cutie Pie
- ▼ May (14)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.