Wednesday, December 5, 2007
You have be an unsentimental and crotchy old curmudgeon not to remember the lyrics and more importantly the message of Mr. Rogers' opening song to his daily program: "Won't You Be My Neighbor?". If you have forgotten, however, CLICK HERE to jog your memory.
The message to me was that as a neighbor you belong to a place, a special place, that you share with people with common values. And when Mr. Rogers sang "It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,A beautiful day for a neighbor" you just knew that he was singing to you.
I have written many times about the Casa Marina Neighborhood as an attractive alternative to the Old Town area of Key West. And each time I wrote about houses or condos for sale in the area. But today I am suggesting that you consider buying a vacant lot and build your own dream home in a great neighborhood. My neighborhood. The Casa Marina area.
The 1000 block of Washington is probably the best single lot in Key West. Look at the photo at the top right to see for yourself. It is the corner of Washington and Whalton and looks like a park. The lot is 12,700 sq ft and is priced at $3,000,000. There ain't another one like it on the island. CLICK HERE for more info and beautiful photos. I live across the street. So if you buy, please don't make too much noise when you build your new dream home.
Property number two is located at 1426 Reynolds just a stone's through from the famous Casa Marina Hotel and the Atlantic Ocean. The historic R.J. Reynold's home is across the street to the east and there are numerous multi-million dollar homes in the surrounding blocks. This property has HARC (Historic Architectural Review Commission) approval for a new residence to be built on the 11,500 sq ft lot that is priced at $1,350,000. A second ROGO building permit is available at additional cost. (This property was previously a legal duplex, so the lot can be subdivided into 2 parcels or a second home (guest unit) could be built together with the main residence.) Since a good part of the building approval process has already been completed, this lot could make the construction of your dream home even speedier. CLICK HERE for more info and photos on this property.
Finally, there is an opportunity to buy a 5376 sq ft lot with approved plans for the construction of a 2572 sq ft home at 906 South Street. This property is now listed at $595,000. The owner bought this property in May 2004 and paid $1,200,000. So this property is on sale. CLICK HERE for more info and pics.
I love this neighborhood. I am close to the beach and Old Town. I can be at the shopping centers in about 5 minutes--even when the tourists are in town. The area has big streets, big skies, beautiful yards and mature, lush trees. And it is quiet. Won't you be my neighbor. Give me a call for more info on any of these properties. 305-766-2642 or email at email@example.com .
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (155)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- 627 Elizabeth Street in Old Town Key West
- Half Price Sale on a Single Family House in Old To...
- Is it a good time to Buy or Sell in Key West?
- Make Your Friends and Neighbors Green with Envy
- Terrific Island Location, but you can't Escape
- Listing Whores--You Know Who They are
- Florida Keys Dream House
- 1418 Leon Street
- Won't You be My Neighbor?
- This Old House
- Pre-Sale Marketing Tools You should Use
- Short Sales and Other Devices to Sell Distressed H...
- It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
- News You can Use
- Key West Cottage--Only $10,500
- 1800 Atlantic Condo -- Let's Make a Deal
- Won't You Be My Neighbor?
- 728 Love Lane
- November Sales Report
- ▼ December (19)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.