Wednesday, January 23, 2008
One of the advantages about growing older is that you can predict the future so much more clearly than younger folk. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I was an attorney and worked in the banking business in the 1970's through the early 1990's. I went through the Colorado crash. So I have real life experience in dealing with a depressed economy and a depressed real estate market.
I worked for the RTC (Resolution Trust Corporation--the federal government agency set up to clean up the savings and loan debacle) and managed problem real estate assets in a variety of locations across the country. So I think my observations about the present real estate situation in Key West may have some merit for those willing to read my thoughts.
The role of the RTC was liquidate the assets of failed S&Ls. The RTC actually facilitated the transfer of wealth from one group (the S&Ls and their subsidiaries and joint ventures) to third parties. In some instances the assets were extremely valuable and were sold for mere pennies on the dollar. The parties that purchased the assets did so at a time when the market was hesitant--just like it is today. They took a risk. But with that risk came the potential for huge reward. And those that bought the assets were rewarded handsomely.
I see the troubled times in Key West as being buying opportunities. Not across the board mind you, because some properties are still woefully overpriced. But there are specific properties in strategic locations that are now offered at prices below there real market value. And buyers who take the risk in this market at this time will be rewarded in the future for their real estate savy a few years from now.
Take this Classic Eyebrow House located at Campbell Courtyard. The street address is 617 Fleming Street. It sits at the back of the property so it is very quite and yet it is so close to everything that second home owners want in an Old Town property. And it has its own parking spot. This property is also a Short Sale meaning the seller is requesting the lender to accept less than par in the payoff of the mortgage against the property. CLICK HERE for more info and photos on this charming cottage at 617 Fleming Street, Old Town, Key West, Fl. It is now offered at $650,000 or $586 per sq ft. The house is two story, 3 bedrooms, two baths, and nicely appointed. There is a beautiful pool and gardens awaiting you.
Want to see this charmer? Give me, Gary Thomas, a call at 305-766-2642 or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a buying opportunity.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2018 (89)
- ► 2017 (165)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (242)
- Distress Sale: 1800 Atlantic
- Don't Miss the Boat
- Money Makers?
- Dirty Deeds
- 627 Southard Street Old Town Key West, Fl
- 720 Eisenhower Drive Key West, Fl
- I See a new house in your Future in Key West
- 709 Windsor Lane Key West, Fl
- Short Sales in Key West
- Mangrove Mama
- 627 Elizabeth Street Key West Open House Sunday
- The Poseidon Adventures in Real Estate
- 608 Angela Street Key West, Fl
- 523 Louisa Street Old Town Key West, Fl
- 630 Eaton Street, Old Town, Key West, Fl--Commerci...
- Awesome Describes 1236 Washington St., Key West
- Big Price Reduction: 710 Caroline St., Key West
- The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow
- Disparate House Buys
- 1108 Southard Street Key West Florida
- 1006 Southard Street Old Town Key West
- 1110 Curry Lane Old Town Key West
- Lessons Learned
- Key Haven Waterfront at Affordable Price
- Estate Sale -- 912 Fleming Street Old Town Key Wes...
- Classic Key West Architecture: 1113 Fleming St.
- Pitch a Tent in Key West
- 2007: That Was the Year That Was
- ▼ January (28)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.