Monday, February 25, 2008
The little house at 1119 Olivia Street in Old Town Key West has just been reduced to $585,000 from its original price of $1,275,000 in March 2007. Half Price! Too bad it wasn't worth the original asking price, however. The property is owned and listed by a Realtor--not me. Thank God. But he must disclose that to the public. Please don't take these comments on my part as being negative. But you need to know the facts when you invest your money in property. Especially now!
This is an excellent opportunity to own your own Conch home located in Old Town. The home at 1119 Olivia Street was completely renovated in 2005. The property is Located in the X flood zone and sustained no damage in any of the hurricanes. A true high and dry property. Some of the features include: 2 licensed residential units, 2 off-street bricked parking spots, 2 separate electric meters, 2 water meters and sewer accounts, granite counters in kitchens, and central A/C, and room for a pool. The property consists of a 1 bed/1 bath apt above rented at $1,200, and a 2 bed/1 bath below rented at $1,700 Per month. Owners will have flexibility of occupying entire home as a 3bed/2bath or renting out a portion as a lock out unit. Building was termite tented in July, 2006. As I mentioned the house is now priced at $585,000 or $496 per sq ft. That price makes it very competitive in the market since it is well located in Old Town, has off street parking, and is legally licensed as two living units. The present owner purchased the house in April 2005 and paid $785,000. He then did the renovation which had to cost a minimum of $100 per sq ft rounded to $150,000. So I would increase the capital investment in the property to be in excess of $$935,000. Some smart shopper is going to buy this house on its Half Price Sale quite soon. Mark my words.
I have shown 1119 Olivia Street several times. The downstairs bedrooms are on the small side. But they work--especially for a rental. If a buyer wanted to reconfigure the downstairs or upgrade the flooring from ceramic tile to wood, or even do a chi-chi redo, I think it would be money well spent, but it certainly is not necessary. The seller renovated or rebuilt everything except the roof, and it looks like it is in good shape. (A home owner's inspection will tell for sure.) Finally, I am not a friend of the seller/agent. I just think this property at this location and at this price makes good sense.
A couple of months back I wrote an item about the house directly across the street at 1118 Olivia which is priced at $485,000 or $700 per sq ft for a 2 bed 1 bath home that is in a compound. I think both properties have their individual attributes. The two units at 1119 Olivia is a potential Short Sale. Any sale of 1119 property will necessarily require the approval of the current lender. The listing agent/owner told me he has discussed the short sale scenario with his lender and that the lender is prepared to act accordingly.
CLICK HERE for more info, additional photos, and a map to help you locate 1119 Olivia Street.
And CLICK HERE to checkout a partial list of the 39 duplexes for sale in Key West. I eliminated properties that are not located in the Old Town area or that are not comparable in asking price.
CLICK HERE to perform your own personal search of all Key West mls listings. Then give me (Gary Thomas) a call to schedule a personal showing. My number is 1-305-766-2642 or you can send me an e-mail at email@example.com.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (165)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- 831 Johnson Lane Old Town Key West, Fl
- 5 Hunts Lane Old Town Key West, Florida
- 1411 Pine Street Key West, Fl
- The Value of Location
- 1119 Olivia Street Old Town Key West -- Steal This...
- Flying Down to Buy REO in Key West
- Don't Say Cheap--Say Inexpensive
- 409 William Street Old Town Key West, Fl
- 1 Lowes Lane Old Town Key West, Fl
- 603 Angela Street Old Town Key West, Fl
- Key West Hole in the Water For Sale: Not Cheap
- High Society: Key West Steamplant Condos
- Cheep Cheep--Not Cheap Cheap!
- Prices are Falling! Prices are Falling!
- Present Value
- 724 Ashe Street Old Town Key West,Fl
- Room with a View, 401 Emma Street #D, Key West, ...
- 612 Griffin Lane Old Town Key West
- Key West Beach Club Oceanfront Condo $899,000
- Same Time, Next Year
- January Sales Report for Key West
- 625 Eaton Street Old Town Key West
- 1116 Seminary Street, Key West, FL
- Paradise Harbor Redux
- I was a Spudnut Man
- 306 Peacon Lane--Old Town Key West, FL
- ▼ February (26)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.