Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Buying a house or a second home is usually the biggest (or second biggest) purchase that most people make in their lives. Some people act out of impulse and make emotional decisions. Others are fanatical in their investigation of the property and the calculus of the deal.
I have become very close friends with a couple that I sold an Old Town home to a few years ago. One is a professional in a very high paying position in New York City. When they are in Key West we talk about their second biggest investment and the Key West real estate market. They trust me. I am glad for that. But they have become friends with other locals who also give them real estate advice such as a waitress at an italian restaurant and a barfly they met at the Schooner Wharf. I kid you not.
It amazes me but my friends are not dissimilar to others who look at buying a place in Key West. They often seek out the advice of "locals" they meet socially as if the Realtor they are working with is not worthy of belief. (There are a few I'd have to agree on myself.) Or maybe they are just seeking a second opinion as in "should I have the operation or not?" kind of opinion.
Let me throw this out at you for grins. Checkout the Realtor you are working with. See if he or she has had any run-ins with the law by going here: Has my Realtor been arrested? Or you can see if he or she has been evicted or sued for past debts by CLICKING HERE.
I'm not trying to disparage the local real estate community. There are some good people. And there are some drunks and druggies. Who do you trust to help you in making the biggest purchase in your life?
You can also checkout all of the current Key West and Lower Florida Keys real estate listings by CLICKING HERE. Just select the type of property you want, the price range you want to pay and start your investigation of Key West real estate. If you see something you like, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2012 (238)
- ► 2011 (259)
- ► 2010 (242)
- ► 2009 (247)
- Compound Investment -- Key West
- Key West Writer's Compound Cottages For Sale -- Hi...
- Bank Owned REO in Key West
- Who Do You Trust?
- 709 Bakers Lane Key West Open House
- 408 Grinnell St. Old Town Half-Price Sale
- Water-Blogged in Key West
- 917 United Street Key West, Florida
- Sales in the City
- Deal or No Deal
- 728 Love Lane Old Town Key West
- Is the Glass Half Empty or Half Full?
- 730 Passover Lane -- Affordable & Adorable!
- Ripe for the Picking Casa Marina Oceanfront Key We...
- April 2008 Real Estate Sales Report for Key West
- ▼ May (16)
- ► 2007 (172)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.