Thursday, October 30, 2008
The two story house located at 405 William Street is located on one of the very best blocks in Old Town Key West. Some of the most historic and architecturally significant homes are located on this block. And this home is one for the books.
CLICK HERE to see the house next door at 409 William Street that is currently offered at $2,194,000 or $770 per sq ft; CLICK HERE to see the Richard Roberts House at 408 William Street that is priced at $1,075,000 or $$573 per sq ft; and CLICK HERE to see 421 William Street that is priced at $2,495,000 or $756 per sq ft.
405 William Street is a two-story renovated duplex. That will cause half the readers to stop reading. But wait. There is more. Before it was made into a duplex it was an awesome single family home with truly unique and grand features that would lend itself to being taken back to single family. Or, the home would make a great second home with legal year round guaranteed rental income from the nicely appointed second floor two bedroom apartment.
The main living level is totally unique to Key West and any other house I have ever seen. You enter through a formal entry hall that leads to either of the two bedrooms or two baths or to the living room, dining area and kitchen beyond. The master bedroom has larger than normal crown molding that set off the high ceilings and formality of the room. Two sets of French doors provide passage to the front porch to watch the denizens of Key West pass by. There is a large master closet and en-suite bath. The second bedroom is also large so you do not get that squeezed in feeling so typical in many older Old Town homes. Another set of French doors opens to the front porch as well. But it is the living room with its arched ceiling that will make you stop and look in awe. The petite French doors in the dining area lead to the exterior porch that overlooks the bricked courtyard and spa area. The recently updated kitchen is at the far end of the house in a saw tooth addition so familiar to Key Westers. The vaulted ceiling and designer touches yank the kitchen right into the 21st Century.
CLICK HERE to read what the listing broker says about this property and see more photos. 405 William was originally listed at $1,595,000. The property was just re-priced as a Short Sale and the new asking price is $899,000 or $328 per sq ft.
If you are seriously considering buying a large home in Old Town, you really must look at this property. It is a large 2740 sq ft home on a very large 4642 sq ft lot. The existing rooms are good sized and efficiently laid out. If you were to convert the property back into a single family home, the renovation would eat up part of the existing space configuration, but the location of the house and the size of the house could justify such a renovation. There is room for a substantial swimming pool in the lightly landscaped rear and fenced yard. I like to tell prospective buyers that you cannot "grow" property. You normally have to try to buy land from a neighbor. That can be tricky and expensive. But 405 William Street has this huge unused space behind the kitchen waiting to have a pool added. And there is off street parking to boot.
This is one of the sweetest homes in Key West. The location is about a two minute walk to the historic Key West Seaport and perhaps five minutes to Duval Street. Please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 to schedule an appointment to see this property. Since it is tenant occupied at least 24 hours notice is required. The tenants are on month to month rental agreements.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (165)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (242)
- Key West Old Town Sales Report - October 2008
- Open House Sunday 927 - 929 United -- Key West
- 405 William St. Old Town Key West - Short Sale
- More Single Family Home Short Sales - Key West
- 716 Olivia Street - Key West - Short Sale
- 915 Washington - Casa Marina Area - Key West - Sho...
- 608 William - Old Town - Key West
- 730 Southard Street - Historic Key West Landmark
- Key West Bank Foreclosures -- déjà vu All Over A...
- 3810 Flagler Avenue Key West
- The Calvin Klein House - 712 Eaton Street -- One o...
- Key Haven -- "Safe" Haven?
- 701 Elizabeth Heart of Old Town Key West
- More Bank Owned Key West Properties
- The Flim-Flam Short Sale
- 1110 Curry Lane Old Town Key West
- Apocalypse Now?
- 804 Elizabeth Old Town Key West Historic Eyebrow
- Bank Owned Homes in Key West
- Key West Short Sale Opportunities
- Out of Business
- ▼ October (21)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.