Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Before it became known as the Calvin Klein House, it was the home of Angelo Donghia. Donghia was an internationally famous designer in the 1970s and 1980's whose clients included Ivana and Donald Trump, Barbara Walters, Diana Ross, Mary Tyler Moore, Halston, Ralph Lauren and Neil Simon. Donghia preserved the eccentric—and now famous—octagon house which he purchased for $45,000 in 1976 and decorated it in simply with rattan furniture and white canvas coverings. He sold it in on January 1, 1981 for $975,000 to Calvin Klein. Klein sold it on September 1, 1986 for $400,000. (Source: Monroe County Clerk Public Records.) And in the beginning, the Octagon House at 712 Eaton Street in Old Town Key West was built around 1885 for Richard Peacon, the town grocer.
No matter whose house it is called, the manse at 712 Eaton was just listed for sale at the price of $3,490,000. The listing broker describes the house this way: "Soaring ceiling heights, Dade County Pine walls & floors, spacious rooms and huge porches everywhere make this property truly remarkable. This comfortable & casual home offers three or four bedrooms, three baths & meandering brick pathways throughout a lushly landscaped enormous lot. Relax & entertain by your over sized pool & Jacuzzi. Off street parking for 3 cars. All in the heart of Old Town!"
The photos to the right are of the house as it appears today with the exception of the interior shot. That is how Angelo Donghia had it decorated when he owned it. CLICK HERE for more photos and details on this one of a kind house.
I would love to show you this house--if it is in your price range, that is. But if you are looking for something a little less expensive, we've got a lot of those these days. CLICK HERE to search the Key West Association of Realtors MLS database. If you see a property that you like, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2012 (238)
- ► 2011 (259)
- ► 2010 (242)
- ► 2009 (247)
- Key West Old Town Sales Report - October 2008
- Open House Sunday 927 - 929 United -- Key West
- 405 William St. Old Town Key West - Short Sale
- More Single Family Home Short Sales - Key West
- 716 Olivia Street - Key West - Short Sale
- 915 Washington - Casa Marina Area - Key West - Sho...
- 608 William - Old Town - Key West
- 730 Southard Street - Historic Key West Landmark
- Key West Bank Foreclosures -- déjà vu All Over A...
- 3810 Flagler Avenue Key West
- The Calvin Klein House - 712 Eaton Street -- One o...
- Key Haven -- "Safe" Haven?
- 701 Elizabeth Heart of Old Town Key West
- More Bank Owned Key West Properties
- The Flim-Flam Short Sale
- 1110 Curry Lane Old Town Key West
- Apocalypse Now?
- 804 Elizabeth Old Town Key West Historic Eyebrow
- Bank Owned Homes in Key West
- Key West Short Sale Opportunities
- Out of Business
- ▼ October (21)
- ► 2007 (172)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.