Monday, December 29, 2008
A week ago today I could drive either direction on Truman between Simonton and White Street in less than two minutes--even if I had to stop for a red light at Windsor Lane. On Friday it took me ten minutes. They're back! The "Wish I lived in Key West!" bunch. The people who return year after year and who ruminate "I wish I would have bought when prices were lower. I got priced out of the market".
This is true: twelve years ago I met a nice couple from New York who have been coming to Key West since in the late 1970's. They come to Key West at least twice a year and always stay at the Marquesa Hotel. They typically rent bikes and scout out potential homes to purchase as part of each trip to Key West. They eventually wrote a couple of offers back in 2002 and 2003 but their tenacity to getting the best of every deal prevented them from getting a good deal. The market continued to go up, and then we all know what happened to property prices across the country and right here in Key West. I saw that couple riding around last week on their bikes and making notes about a house on an Old Town street.
A couple of months ago I wrote about the slowness of the Key West market and how very little was selling. In a few days I will do a little report on what transpired in December and how the year 2008 did as compared to recent years. But I can give you a sneak peak. Sales are up. There is a lot of activity. A lot of the cheap stuff is getting bought up (bank owned properties and some good short sale properties). A couple of really big grand houses are under contract as well.
Preferred Properties hosted ten Open Houses yesterday and each host reported a big turnout of lookers. Well, we always get lookers. Looking is cheap entertainment. But several of the lookers are actually in town with the intention of buying a place in Key West. I know they all won't buy. Just like the couple from New York will probably never buy. But some will buy, and they may be buying at or near the bottom of the market.
I know there are going to be more foreclosures because I read the Monroe County Clerk's records a couple of times each week to see what properties are being foreclosed upon. So I accept the fact that we are not at the absolute bottom of wherever we are headed. At the same time I can appreciate the fact that the people who have property for sale right now really want to sell--for whatever reason. And there are some very attractive properties on the market.
The property I hosted at yesterday's Open House was a grand house located at 416 Elizabeth Street. It is offered at $3,900,000 so it is out of the price range of most buyers, but would-be buyers came to look nonetheless. The "oohed" and "aahed" at the place and told me how absolutely enchanting it is. The thing is there are smaller and much less expensive properties on the market right now that could evoke the same feeling of enchantment. People who dream of moving to Key West don't think in terms of how much their home will cost. They think about the type of lifestyle they can live.
CLICK HERE to search the Key West Association of Realtors mls database to find your new home in Paradise. If you see something you like, I'd appreciate it if you would consider using me to help you. Please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or e-mail me at email@example.com. Don't wait too long!
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (128)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- 64 Front Street - Key West, Florida
- Don't Wait Too Long!
- Open Houses - Key West - Sunday
- 48th Annual Key West House and Garden Tours
- Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
- Did Gary Have Too Much Eggnog?
- 811 Southard - Historic Old Town Mansion - Short S...
- Little Big Short Sale -- Old Town Key West
- Some Neat Key West Condo Short Sales
- 701 Elizabeth Street - Heart of Key West
- Key West - Bank Owned - Properties
- All right, Mr DeMille, I'm ready for my close up.
- Oceanfront - Short Sale - Key West
- Key West - Bank Owned - Sunset Marina Condo
- 712 Love Lane - Old Town - Key West
- Key West Beachside Ocean Front Condo
- 8 Passover Lane - Key West - Story Book Cottage
- For the Disbelievers
- Key West November 2008 Sale Report
- ▼ December (19)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.