Friday, January 23, 2009
Preferred Properties, Christies Great Estates, has a new listing at 1400 1st Street in the Mid Town area of Key West that may appeal to the buyer that wants a very large and gracious home away from the hoopla of Duval Street.
The listing Realtor describes this property thus: "Unparalleled quality and craftsmanship in a new home in Key West. This property is superb in every way from the solid Brazilian cherry floors, the granite counters, the stainless appliances including a six burner Viking gas range, the custom tile in every bath, hand-built wainscoting and custom hand-built crown molding. Every detail was considered in the workmanship and design of this fine home. The exterior landscaping, spa and pool again reflect the care of this builder; two waterfalls surround a swimming lagoon connected to the whirlpool/spa by a 52 ft canal bridged by the fabulous gazebo. Two car garage and off street parking for five more cars; three in a secure, gated area. Not a property to miss for the sophisticated buyer."
This is my take: The property as a whole (both grounds and building) is enormous. The house is brand new (no renovation). It is 3708 square feet on two levels. The lot is 9766 square feet (11'x 97.66'). The lot is surrounded by a large privacy fence with an electric gated driveway and TV surveillance around the property for the utmost security. That's probably overkill for Key West, but it's a nice feature nonetheless. The front entry and drive are paved and the grounds are lushly landscaped.
Each room in the this house is large, but some are really large. But they are also built to human scale and were designed with ease of use and utility in mind. The kitchen is a cook's delight and features custom cabinets and Viking appliances. There is an opening onto the bayed dining alcove. This is where everybody hangs in most houses. But in this house, the hanging will be in comfort and style. Go back and re-read what the listing Realtor said about wainscoting and crown molding. I'll throw in the incredible pediments above each door. You walk from room to room and are just amazed at the detail and care that went into this house.
We Key Westers spend most of our time outside if we can. And this house is a place you and your friends will really enjoy. Each of the rooms on the ground floor and second floor have porches that overlook the pool and grounds. Understatement. The landscaping and water features look more like a posh Key West resort hotel than a normal backyard pool. Well, that's the point I guess. This place is not normal. It is extraordinary.
I was amazed at the waterfalls, fountains, the bridged swimming pool, the spa, the gazebo, and so on. The features do not end. This is the kind of house that a couple with a large family or lots of friends could really put to good use. The house is formal enough to impress, but it was built to be lived in. The outside has lots of places to relax, dine, or entertain. If there are any buyers out there that were not ripped off by Bernard Madoff this may be your place in Key West.
1400 1st Street is offered at $3,495,000. CLICK HERE for more detailed information on this large and impressive property and view all of the photos.
If you are seriously looking for a luxury home in this price range, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 to arrange an appointment. Buyers must be pre-qualified to view this property.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (110)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- 707 Washington Street - Key West - Short Sale
- 614 Frances Street - Key West - Short Sale
- The Grand Dame - 1307 Truman Avenue Key West
- 628 William Street - Old Town - Key West Elegance...
- Cigar Maker Cottages Galore - Key West
- The Road to Recovery
- Beep! Beep! Beep! - The Sound of Key West Foreclos...
- 1400 1st Street - MidTown - Key West
- No Brainer Loans
- 825 Ashe Street - Old Town - Key West
- Class Warfare - Key West
- Key West Short Sales to Dream About
- HGTV Florida Keys Dream Home - Part Deux
- Duval Square Townhome - Key West - Short Sale
- Bank Owned Properties - Key West
- Just Listed 1212 Olivia Street - Key West
- 1118 Olivia Street - Old Town - Key West Cottage
- The Elegance of Living Well...
- 623 Fleming Street - Old Town - Key West
- Casa Palmera - Grand Casa Marina Estate - Key West...
- Even Bert's Looking in Key West
- 912 Fleming Street - Old Town - Key West
- 2008 - The Year in Real Estate in Key West, Florid...
- ▼ January (23)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.