Sunday, February 22, 2009
I can tell you one thing for absolute certain about Key West real estate: you either love houses located across the street from the Key West Cemetery or you hate them. So if you are of the latter persuasion, do not read any further. But if you don't mind tombs with a view, read on dear reader.
There is a very charming Arts & Crafts style house located at 708 Passover Lane that was just listed at the asking price of $650,000 or $923 per sq. ft. The two bedroom two bath house has 704 sq ft of living space and sits on a fairly good sized but odd shaped lot of 3364 sq ft. The house has off street parking and a generous front yard with so many tropical plants that one can barely see the cemetery across the lane.
The inside of the house was redone a few years ago and a pool was added. So this cute cottage has all the modern conveniences. If you are one of those buyers who feels compelled to have granite and marble and stainless steel, this house could be a candidate for a new re-do that will not break the bank simply because it isn't all that big a place. But it is perfectly livable as is. The present owner paid $840,000 for this house in 2005. This is not a short sale either.
On the other hand, some strategic fairy dust and paint could go a long way to make this charmer "pop". CLICK HERE and look at the photo of the off street parking. Imagine how cute the same space could be if the fence surrounded the area and was painted bright white. Imagine Chicago brick pavers instead of pea rock for the surface. Ditch the trash cans while you are at it. Yuck! Imagine your little Key West car sitting in the driveway.
I took some photos of the eight houses on the block. CLICK HERE, and CLICK HERE, also CLICK HERE to see the scary cemetery. You don't need to worry about the neighbors across the street making a ruckus and keeping you awake all night. You don't need to worry about their friends taking up all the parking spots on the street. Same for the other houses on Passover Lane. The properties are single family and there isn't a guesthouse, bar, restaurant or gallery within a couple of blocks.
This is how the listing realtor describes 708 Passover Lane: "Great Old Town Home with off street parking, fenced yard, screened porch, brick patio, cocktail pool and wood deck. Two bedrooms and full bath, lots of windows. Charming!" CLICK HERE to see more photos of this property.
I think some smart buyer is going to snag this house. Everything in Key West seems to be negotiable these days. So I think a smart buyer will act on this. Half of my readers won't consider this house because of the location. So that makes it an easier deal for those who do not mind tombs with a view as neighbors.
If you want to see 708 Passover Lane, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642. This is not my listing, but don't let that stop you.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (165)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- Everbody's Talking! 924 Flagler Avenue - Casa Mar...
- 615 Grinnell Strret (Rear) - Old Town - Key West
- Bank Owned - Heart of Old Town - Key West
- 1114 Fleming Street - Old Town - Key West
- Key West Condo & Townhouse Short Sales - 2
- 1130 Royal Street - Key West - Buy It Before It To...
- 708 Passover Lane - Old Town - Key West
- I told you so.......
- Key West Condo & Townhouse Short Sales - 1
- 825 Southard Street - Old Town - Key West
- 610 Olivia Street - Old Town - Key West
- 1401 Pine Street - Key West - Former Home of a Lit...
- Key West - Open House Event - Sunday 12-4 PM
- 6 Lopez Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 1221 Margaret Street - Key West
- 2026 Seidenberg - Key West - Mid Century Modern
- January Real Estate Sales in Key West
- ▼ February (17)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.