Monday, March 16, 2009
Did you watch House Hunters last night on HGTV to Cory Held of Preferred Properties show and sell a second home in Key West? If not and you are looking for a place in Key West, try to find it on re-run. It's helpful even if you are not looking in the same price range as the buyers who were willing to spend up to $2 million for a second home.
On the program Cory showed her customers three houses. In reality, they looked at about 20. I'm going to share the gritty details on the three houses on the program. Only one remains unsold and it is temporarily off the market but.... (more later)
House No. 1 is located at 804 Elizabeth Street in Old Town. It is an eyebrow house that was recently renovated and has a spectacular pool. The living room and dining area are just captivating. The second floor bedrooms are cozy (small but not tiny). The master bedroom is in the back and I thought it should be expanded to take advantage of the beautiful pool and garden. It was listed in April 2007 at $1,695,00 and sold a week ago for $950.000. I hope the buyer knows what a sweet deal he or she got. CLICK HERE to see the mls data sheet on 840 Elizabeth.
House No. 2 is located on Varela Street about one half block north of United Street. The Key West Montessori School is located up on the corner at United. I remember hosting numerous open houses at this location in 2000 when it was offered for about $600,000. I remember telling people about what a great property it could become. It was a big house and it had a big yard with a potential guest cottage and off street parking on the lane behind the house. Our office got to see the house a couple of months ago. My goodness, what an incredible change. You have to watch the episode to see all the bells and whistles that were incorporated into this home.
House No. 2 is temporarily off the market but was recently priced at $2,595,000. It is listed by Preferred Properties. CLICK HERE to see the mls listing info on this home. Click the photos to see more pics of the house including that kitchen on Steroids. The French doors open on two sides to let the outdoors come inside. And that pool is absolutely breath taking. The guest house in the back would suit me fine. What a charmer it is.
House No.3 is the house the "buyers" bought. It is located on Packer Street about one half block south of Truman Avenue. It was originally listed for sale in 2005 at $3,150,000. The buyers paid $1,337,500. (Public record.) CLICK HERE to see what they got for their money. This property is new as compared to the others. It is not in Old Town, but across the street so to speak. I think the buyers made out like bandits on the price. They got new construction with no issues. That's not bad.
Cory did a great job and I hear her buyers are delighted with the "little place" in Paradise. There are some great buying opportunities out there dear readers. And they aren't all for houses and condos in New Town. Every house that is for sale right now is for sale for a reason. Some people have to sell because of the economy; some are getting divorced; and some people have died and the heirs want their share of the money.
If you are looking to buy a second home in Key West, please call me, Gary Thomas. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty Inc. Give me a call at 305.766.2642. You won't end up on TV. (I got interviewed for the CBS program "SUNDAY MORNING" and got so confused I forget what I did at the RTC. So I know better than to try to walk and talk on camera.) But you might end up getting yourself a real sweet deal.
CLICK HERE to search the Key West mls database. No Realtor will call and you won't get emails sent to you without asking.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (110)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- Dazed & Confused over Short Sales?
- 1209 Olivia Street - Back on the Market - Again!
- Peace in the Middle East of Key West - Short Sale
- 1018 Thomspon Lane - Old Town - Key West - Short ...
- Price Reduction - 712 Southard Street - Old Town K...
- Just Listed: 602 Southard St. Old Town Key West
- 3533 Flagler Avenue - Bank Owned - Key West
- 821 Southard Street - Old Town - Key West
- Kid Friendly in Key West
- You do the Math - Key West Potential Deals
- 25 years ago this week
- 614 Greene Street - Old Town - Key West
- Key West House Hunters - Part Two
- Key West House Hunters - Tonight on HGTV
- 921 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West - Bank Owne...
- Pssst! I've got a Deal for You!
- Let's Do the Fifties Over Again
- 1731 Bahama Drive - Key West
- 1015 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West - Open Hou...
- The Key West Garden Cottage
- Open House(s) Sunday - Key West
- Fit for a Queen - 1215 Royal Street - Key West - B...
- Really BIG short Sale - 1307 Truman Avenue - Key W...
- 630 Elizabeth - Old Town - Key West - Bank Owned
- Invest in Key West
- February Sales Report for Key West
- ▼ March (26)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.