Saturday, March 21, 2009
Thanks to all the readers who made such nice comments on yesterday's blog "You do the Math". I appreciate it when my shills are awake. Your checks will be arriving soon.
Diana, the reader that prompted all the comments,was looking for kid friendly area other than pricey Old Town that her family could afford. They are in that under one million threshold. I just created a list CLICK HERE of houses in the Meadows and Casa Marina areas that are priced under the one million mark. I think all prices are negotiable these days, so don't let the asking price on any property prevent you from looking at it.
I eliminated houses that are on busy streets. Some are affordably priced, but kids do run into streets. I think locals are pretty careful about driving on side streets. But you need to watch out for tourists. I did leave in houses on South Street. I know it gets traffic, but it also has some real nice houses at great asking prices and I think they may sell even lower.
1217 Varela Street is located right next door to the Montessori School. It's neat and clean, has room for a pool, and it has off street parking. The other houses on the block are much more expensive. The house across the street was featured in HGTV's House Hunters Key West episode last week. It's priced over $2.7 million. Nice house, great block, kid friendly, what more do you need?
1019 Flagler Avenue was left in because it could be a great family home. It's going to take some money and a good designer to do it, but the value is there. The rear yard once was incredible and it can be again. The house two doors away once belonged to R.J. Reynolds. It was recently redone and it is now offered just under $4 million. Same street folks.
1116 Seminary Street is a short sale. I wrote about it before. It is a great house and is located across the street from the Glen Archer Elementary School. Seminary gets local traffic from moms dropping the kids off and picking them up from school. And occasional locals like me who ride on the street on a bike.
1217 Petronia Street is in a dense area of the Meadows. Houses are closer together than houses in the Casa Marina area. But this house is priced very competitively.
The city government and many of the service groups are always doing something to make the lives of kids and families with kids more enjoyable. The city commissioners take pains to make sure that they provide good clean wholesome things for families to do that are apart from the craziness that happens on Duval Street.
The top photos is of a house in the 1000 block of Washington in Casa Marina. The next photo is located next door to 1116 Seminary mentioned above. The school is the Glen Archer Elementary School on the corner of White between Seminary and United Streets. It was the original Key West High School. Oh, I forgot to mention, there is even a Dairy Queen located nearby.
If you are considering the move to Key West, please consider working with me, Gary Thomas. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties, an affiliate of Christie's Great Estates. Call me at 305.766.2642 or e-mail me at email@example.com.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (110)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- Dazed & Confused over Short Sales?
- 1209 Olivia Street - Back on the Market - Again!
- Peace in the Middle East of Key West - Short Sale
- 1018 Thomspon Lane - Old Town - Key West - Short ...
- Price Reduction - 712 Southard Street - Old Town K...
- Just Listed: 602 Southard St. Old Town Key West
- 3533 Flagler Avenue - Bank Owned - Key West
- 821 Southard Street - Old Town - Key West
- Kid Friendly in Key West
- You do the Math - Key West Potential Deals
- 25 years ago this week
- 614 Greene Street - Old Town - Key West
- Key West House Hunters - Part Two
- Key West House Hunters - Tonight on HGTV
- 921 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West - Bank Owne...
- Pssst! I've got a Deal for You!
- Let's Do the Fifties Over Again
- 1731 Bahama Drive - Key West
- 1015 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West - Open Hou...
- The Key West Garden Cottage
- Open House(s) Sunday - Key West
- Fit for a Queen - 1215 Royal Street - Key West - B...
- Really BIG short Sale - 1307 Truman Avenue - Key W...
- 630 Elizabeth - Old Town - Key West - Bank Owned
- Invest in Key West
- February Sales Report for Key West
- ▼ March (26)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.