Monday, May 11, 2009
This foreclosure stuff is starting to get personal. Eight months ago a fellow Realtor got to help select my new neighbor by placing the house at 1119 Von Phister Street in the Casa Marina Area of Key West on the market. It is owned by a local Key West bank. You see I live right next door. The neighborhood is very nice and very quiet. There are no apartments or businesses nearby. Here are some photos of neighboring homes: CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK.
Let me tell you about 1119 Von Phister Street and why I think it is a great buy. And let me tell you about the neighborhood and why you might just want to live there.
The original house is constructed of Indian Blocks, a building material used in maybe 30 of the older homes in Key West. The man who owned the house before the last owner added room after room during a time when there either was no building code or there was no enforcement of building codes. The lot is huge and the house and the structures on the lot were many and very strange. That man passed away and when the most recent owners bought the house the additions and contraptions were removed. What was left was the core of the original house and a huge lot. Other than the exterior walls in the front, everything is new.
The renovation of the former house and the construction of the new additions was done with an unique style and a devotion to detail. Room after room feature unique woods, tiles, and decorative treatments. You will not find this home constructed with materials available at Home Depot or Lowes.
This is how the listing Realtor describes this house: "Exquisite residence in the Casa Marina neighborhood. This custom home is owned by a LOCAL bank. The original structure with Indian Block facade dates to 1943 and was recently remodeled/expanded. Many custom features make this 3 bedroom home unique. Custom kitchen flows into great room, covered porch, back deck and pool. First floor has great room, kitchen, living room, study (or bedroom), one bedroom, one full bath room, pantry, laundry room, computer nook, two half baths, covered front porch, covered back porch & covered car port. Second level has master bedroom, master bath, dressing room, 2nd bedroom, 2nd bath, office, covered porches front & back plus back balcony."
Click each word or phrase to see parts of this home: Greatroom -- Great room and dining alcove -- Kitchen -- Pool and rear deck -- Pool and spa -- View from second floor front balcony
-- Bath second floor front -- Master bedroom and sitting room -- View from master bedroom -- Master bedroom balcony -- Master bathroom -- First floor front bedroom -- First floor bath.
There is a huge old Mahogany tree at the front of 1119 Von Phister. I have one in front of my house and there are several others on our block. Many of the houses are quite old but renovated. The block looks stable, as in real people who take care of their homes live here. The house is a five minute walk or take a bike ride to the Atlantic Ocean and the beach. This is the real deal my friend. And the good thing is you won't have any sand in your feet by the time you walk back home. Of course you can ride your bike or drive your car or scooter.
You can also walk or bike over to Duval Street(5 minutes); or go down to the shops on White Street like Faustos or go to the Island Gym and watch me lift weights in the early morning (2 minutes): or you can grab a cafe con leche at any of the several neighborhood joints. You can be at the Historic Key West Seaport as fast on your bike as in your car (if you consider parking in your travel time) (5 minutes). And you can be in the Key West suburbs at the shopping centers or leave on a jet plane (we got 'em) at the Key West International Airport, all within a 5 minute drive from 1119 Von Phister. We don't have Conch Trains and motorcycles going through the area. We don't have noisy bars and noisy tourists walking home at four o'clock in the morning singing songs or arguing about how much they love or hate each other. We are so close to everything we all love about Key West, and yet so far away from the things we don't like.
There was a contract that unfortunately did not close. This property recently went back on the market as an "active" listing. The property is still offered at $1,895,000 or $616 per sq ft for this 3078 sq ft house under roof on a huge 5761 sq ft lot.
If you want to test me out as a potential neighbor and take a look at 1119 Von Phister, please call me, Gary Thomas, at 305-766-2642. CLICK HERE for more detailed information and photos of 1119 Von Phister Street.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (152)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- Two-Fers on Peacon Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 708 Passover Lane - Old Town Key West - Short Sale...
- Fore! - Thought - Key West Golf Club
- Her Dog Ate Her Homework & She Didn't Get the Memo...
- The Key West Bank Dick - Part Two
- Half-Price in Key West
- The One that Got Away!
- Casa Marina - Short Sale - Do It Your Own Way
- 1119 Von Phister Sreet - Key West - Bank Owned
- Verry Interesting!
- 604 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Key West
- Oh, Dear!
- 630 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Key West - Bank ...
- 800 Elizabeth - Old Town Key West Renovation Proje...
- 1015 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West - Eyebrow ...
- April Sales Recap for Key West
- ▼ May (16)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.