Thursday, May 14, 2009
Casa Marina - Short Sale - Do It Your Own Way
We are getting to a difficult point in real estate pricing in Key West. Many of the bargain properties are gone (not all). Many of the properties that remain are either located in bad locations (you decide what that means) or the properties seem over-price (we all know what that means).
I am fortunate enough to have some active buyers that want nice houses priced just under one million. They want a good neighborhood, good neighbors, and a very nice house. You would think for a million bucks that would be easy. It isn't. Not in Key West. That's not to say we can't make it happen, but there are not a lot of properties priced to sell at that magic number.
In the 1980's and 1990's industrious buyers sometimes bought neglected properties and renovated them to get exactly the kind of Key West treasure they wanted. As Key West became more popular and the price of real property increased, the cost of doing renovations became almost cost prohibitive.
There are individual properties in Old Town and Casa Marina that I think a serious buyer should consider as an option to buying a house already completely "done". I have said before on numerous occasions that people with nice houses who do not need to sell do not have their properties on the market. Those houses have not lost any value despite what is going on with their neighbors. They may have even benefited from real property tax adjustments downward. But the intrinsic value of their homes(short term and long term) has not diminished.
1316 Whalton Street is located between Seminary Street and South Street just one block west of White Street. I mention the location because many locals don't even know where Whalton is located. Think of it as Frances Street on the other side of Truman because that is what it is. CLICK HERE to read more info provided by the listing Realtor who describes the property this was: "Development opportunity in the Casa Marina district of Key West! Priced for only $520,000, this sale offers the rare opportunity to purchase 2 legal addresses that can be combined or redeveloped into separate properties. Complete working drawings are available for 2 luxurious 4 BR & 3 BA, 2200 sq. ft. custom homes. As an added bonus, according to public records, the lots are situated high atop an X500 zone presenting a preferred elevation. The existing property consists of a 2 BR & 1 BA cottage, a pool, garage & 1 BR & 1 BA apartment. This sale requires 3rd party approval by seller's lender, & all offers must be accompanied by a buyer's lender prequalification letter for financing or statement of assets for a cash purchase." This property is offered as a short sale at $520,000.
Here are some photos I took of the property. CLICK each photo: Livingroom, rear bedroom,two story rear house viewed from sideyard, pool, pool and two story rear house, neighbor to the south, neighbor to the rear on Grinnell Street. These houses can be demolished and one or two new houses built at this location. The property has been divided into two parcels, but the offering is for both properties as a single short sale purchase.
Just one block to the west is another short sale that is raring to be purchased. It is a development lot at 904 South Street in the Casa Marina area. The listing Realtor describes the property this way: "This is a fantastic build able lot with a Rogo in the heart of the Casa Marnia.HARC Approved plans for 2550 sq ft home including a pool and off street parking are available and will need recertification. This is a potential short sale." This lot is 5187 sq ft according to the information provided by listing Realtor. This short sale is listed at $350,000. It will not last long at this price. Better act quickly. CLICK HERE for more detailed listing information. Here are some additional photos, CLICK lot, lot, adjacent house to the east, and the house across the street.
If you are interested in a project property, please contact me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or email me at email@example.com. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties in Key West Florida. Our office is an affiliate of Christies Great Estates.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (214)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (238)
- Two-Fers on Peacon Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 708 Passover Lane - Old Town Key West - Short Sale...
- Fore! - Thought - Key West Golf Club
- Her Dog Ate Her Homework & She Didn't Get the Memo...
- The Key West Bank Dick - Part Two
- Half-Price in Key West
- The One that Got Away!
- Casa Marina - Short Sale - Do It Your Own Way
- 1119 Von Phister Sreet - Key West - Bank Owned
- Verry Interesting!
- 604 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Key West
- Oh, Dear!
- 630 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Key West - Bank ...
- 800 Elizabeth - Old Town Key West Renovation Proje...
- 1015 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West - Eyebrow ...
- April Sales Recap for Key West
- ▼ May (16)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (171)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.