Wednesday, May 6, 2009
I found some photos on the internet about recent picketing in front of the Key West Police Department headquarters on North Roosevelt. Maybe you have driven your car past the station on your way to or out of Key West. It's located next to the dinosaur pond on Roosevelt & Eisenhower. The photos were taken and posted by Iowapix with the disclaimer that reads "Affiliates or friends of the Westboro Baptist Church conducting an anti-gay picket in front of the Key West, Florida police department. The Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) is headquartered in Topeka, Kansas and was founded by Fred Phelps. The WBC is monitored as a hate group by the Anti-defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center."
The photographer gives us this description of what he saw and photographed:
"Key West is very low key. I saw nothing in the local newspaper or on the Miami television stations. From experience with Kluckers, sometimes the news media, NAACP, and other organizations will completely ignore, boycott, or avoid hostile protests. That prevents the protesters from getting the publicity that they are looking for.
The first protest that I saw was against an Episcopal Church. The second protest (one doofus) was in front of the main police station. In hindsight that may have been for the protesters own safety.
Key West has a very diverse population of Caribbean islanders, Cubans, blacks, and whites. I could envision any number of people wanting to give these fellows a real thrashing. They probably would not be safe for very long. Especially calling people f*gs or whatever else.
Because of the potential for either violence or claims that the protest was being interfered with, these photos were taken out of a car window across the width of a two-lane commercial driveway."
I sent the photographer a request to re-publish his pics, and he agreed. Thank you. A couple photos are shown above and the rest are Here, Here, Here, Here, and Here.
This morning's Key West Citizen has a front page story about the impending visit from the Holy Man himself. CLICK HERE to read the item.
He'll probably get his pictures all over the internet and maybe end up on CNN or maybe FOX. What a sad little man.
Key West is a great community made up of people from all over the world. And we get tourists from everywhere on earth. The other day the Crown Prince of Denmark was in Key West. We have our own royalty, of course--the drag queens on Duval. But we all get along. The straight men who live here are not threatened by the gays. We seem to have achieved what Rodney King implored: “Can we all get along?”
The Holy Man may not have thought out his choice for a demonstration. Even though not every tourist that walks down Duval is totally cool with gays, I'll bet you that each American male will be pretty upset with the Anti-American signs. We have a large military presence in Key West as well. It will be interesting to see how Key West responds.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (108)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- Two-Fers on Peacon Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 708 Passover Lane - Old Town Key West - Short Sale...
- Fore! - Thought - Key West Golf Club
- Her Dog Ate Her Homework & She Didn't Get the Memo...
- The Key West Bank Dick - Part Two
- Half-Price in Key West
- The One that Got Away!
- Casa Marina - Short Sale - Do It Your Own Way
- 1119 Von Phister Sreet - Key West - Bank Owned
- Verry Interesting!
- 604 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Key West
- Oh, Dear!
- 630 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Key West - Bank ...
- 800 Elizabeth - Old Town Key West Renovation Proje...
- 1015 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West - Eyebrow ...
- April Sales Recap for Key West
- ▼ May (16)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.