Wednesday, July 15, 2009
I learned something new this morning. I have been mistakenly calling 809 Sawyer Alley "809 Sawyer Lane". I checked the Monroe County Property Appraiser's website CLICK HERE to find out the details on this house and that is when I learned the correct name. There is no street sign to advise what the name is.
The Property Appraiser's records show the house sits on a nice 50' x 53'(2650 sq ft)lot. The three bedroom three bath house has 1650 sq ft of living space on two floors and was built in 1919.
The listing Realtor describes 809 Sawyer Alley (Lane) this way:
"Historic Key West home located on quiet lane just steps from the Historic Seaport. This 3 bedroom, 3 bath home features include Dade Pine walls, hardwood floors, fireplace, pool and an upstairs balcony with treetop views. Walking distance to all Key West attractions and restaurants. Great vacation home with large monthly rental income potential."
I have shown this lovely home many times over the years and it is one of my favorite Key West houses. The asking price was recently reduced to $995,000 or $692 per sq ft. The asking price is less than the owner paid, but this is not a short sale. But I do think the price is a signal that the owner is ready to sell it. CLICK HERE to see more details and photos of this house.
The house is located at the foot of the Historic Key West Seaport in an area filled with unique homes built by ship chandlers or craftsman. Those houses were built to last and they did. Some of the houses are big and boastful. Others are meek and unpretentious. They exist sometimes side by side. CLICK HERE to see the simple cottage on the corner of William Street where Sawyer Alley is located. That cottage is next door to 809 Sawyer Alley which appears to the rear of the photo. (The listing Realtor told me the owner is a little old lady who has lived in the cottage for years. That cottage is her castle today and will be somebody else's dream cottage in the future.)
The house has a required white picket fence and it even has a bricked driveway. The front porch is most inviting, as is the one of a kind front door with round window. Inside the house your eyes are drawn to the right where the really functional fireplace is located. And just beyond is the stairway to the second floor bedrooms.
At the back of the living area is a doorway to the downstairs bedroom with en suite bath. Off to the left is the Florida room with French doors that open onto the bricked deck and large swimming pool. Back inside is the kitchen that looks to have been updated in the mid 1990's. It works and looks fine. It is the one thing a new owner might want to fuss with. But "fuss" is the operative word because it works fine as it is. The present owner has maintained this house very well.
There is an exterior spiral stairway to the second floor deck and interior "landing". There are two bedrooms (each with bath) on that floor. The views of the historic neighborhood are just great.
The pool is totally private. And there is even a private outdoor shower. That is a "must" in Key West.
This house does not have a transient rental license. But a new owner could rent it as a vacation rental on a monthly basis. It has what just about every returning seasonal renter wants: quiet, location, cleanliness, a beautiful pool, off street parking, and charm for days. Never underestimate the value of charm. Why come to Key West to stay in a the equivalent of a cardboard box when you can stay in a house the oozes charm.
CLICK HERE to see some photos I took of the exterior of the house and the neighboring properties. 808 Sawyer Alley or Lane is so quiet and unassuming you can't find it without a map or a Realtor like me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (111)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- Major Casa Marina Short Sales - Key West Florida
- What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life? Will You...
- 922 Thomas Street - Bahama Village - Key West
- 1115 Georgia Street - Key West - Priced to Sell
- Shangri-La in the Florida Keys - SOLD
- Will "History" Repeat Itself ----- 1124 Wil...
- 3632 Sunrise Drive - Key West, Florida
- 809 Sawyer Alley - Old Town - Key West
- Snap! Thud! Ouch ! ! !
- 1717 Atlantic Boulevard - Key West, Florida
- 1019 Flagler Avenue - The Big House - Key West
- 726-728 United Street - Bank Owned - Key West
- 1800 Atlantic Condominiums - Key West Florida
- 917 Southard Street - Old Town - Key West
- 1124 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West - Bank Own...
- "What door's will open for you?"
- 731 Waddell Avenue - Casa Marina area - Key West
- June 2009 - Key West - Real Estate Sales
- Just Listed - 814 Carey Lane - Old Town - Key West...
- ▼ July (19)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.