Just listed by Preferred Properties Coastal Realty (but not by me) La Casa Roja at 1403 Catherine Street in Key West, Florida.
La Casa Roja is the kind of home that you would expect to see featured in Architectural Digest or Coastal Living magazine. It is of that caliber. But you lucky readers get to see it here in my little blog instead, keywestproperties.
CLICK HERE to see the before photo of this historic 992 square front home as it appeared five years ago with its white clapboard siding and chain link fence. If fit right into the neighborhood. But a very creative young architect and his partner bought the house and transformed it into a work of art. CLICK HERE to see the renovated property as it now appears. The six room house consists of the living room, kitchen, guest bedroom, guest bath, and master bedroom with en-suite bath. Other living areas include the outdoor lounge off the master bedroom, the open-air dining alcove near the pool, the bar off the kitchen, and the two story carriage house with upstairs loft. Each room or area is rich in architectural detail and quality construction. There is nothing "undone".
This simple little house is simply just that: a simple little house. But that is an understatement of grand proportion. It is elegant in its simplicity. The new wide oak plank floors were custom milled as were the extra-large crown molding and the extra-wide baseboards. New cedar doors were custom made. The original windows were restored to retain their character.
Doors and floor patterns in the original house were reworked to make the house flow efficiently. The relocated kitchen for example opens onto the hallway adjacent to the living room. The kitchen windows tilt and provide access to the covered outside veranda bar. I would not call this home a "party house", but it was certainly designed for an owner who loves to entertain in style. The kitchen is the heart of this home. And the several social gathering spots flow from or toward the heart of this home.
What was once the kitchen is now the master bedroom with its own private covered porch with hot tub. The master bedroom features two sets of pocketing French doors and screens which allow the room to open up to the back yard. Mirrored pocket doors conceal the generous ten foot long closet. Paneled wainscoting and coffered ceiling add depth and interest to this cozy retreat.
And then there is the two story carriage house. It's the perfect place to house your classic Key West car or the perfect place for your own gym, workshop, or studio. Upstairs there is a secret retreat that is just as simple and just as elegant as the rest of the main house. Some people skimp on things that are barely seen. Here, the barely seen is treated as a treasure for the very few.
I dare the reader to walk around the outside of this property and find something amiss or something not done. Every place you look you see solutions to everyday issues. Here is a "for instance": the front door hurricane panel was turned into a whimsical work of art and greets guests near the cocktail bar.
This is the kind of house a second home buyer should consider because the present owner designed the house and all of its components to standout from the crowd and function properly. It does. Indeed. Some readers may say "I could do that." Perhaps. But most of us see a home like this and admire it with awe. That is why I discerning buyer will seize the opportunity to own a property of this caliber.
La Casa Roja is offered at $1,299,000. If you would like to see this simply elegant property, please call me, Gary Thomas, at 305-766-2642. Some very lucky person is going to buy this little treasure and experience the elegance of living well...in Paradise. Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. is an affiliate of Christie's Great Estates.
P.S. I have shown this charming home to several buyers that actually purchased a home from me. They ended up hiring the owner-architect of La Casa Roja to design the remodel of their new Key West property. My advice to buyers: save the trouble and hassle of months and months of construction. Buy the real deal now.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2018 (89)
- ► 2017 (165)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- 1019 Flagler Avenue - Casa Marina Area - Key West
- 511 Frances Street - Old Town - Key West
- 907 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Key West
- 615 Grinnell Street - Old Town - Key West
- 639 United Street - Key West Charmer !
- Bank Owned - 1318 Duncan Street - Key West
- Let's Celebrate!
- Shark Key - Bank Owned - Waterfront
- 809 Washington Street - Casa Marina Area - Short S...
- Don't Be a Cry Baby!
- Opportunity Knocks - 1317 Reynolds Street - Key We...
- 815 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West - Short Sal...
- Casa Louisa - 622 Louisa Street - Key West Charmer...
- 906 Johnson Street - Casa Marina Estate - Short Sa...
- La Casa Roja - 1403 Catherine Street - Historic Ke...
- Keep It Simple, Cuz!
- 1218 Varela Street - Key West - Foreclosure
- 1709 George Street - Short Sale - Key West
- 1039 Buttonwood East - Sugarloaf Key - Waterfront ...
- 3 Aster Terrace - Key Haven Canal Property - Key W...
- 3810 Flagler Avenue - Key West Waterfront
- September 2009 Real Estate Sales - Key West
- ▼ October (22)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.