Monday, November 2, 2009
There were several real estate closings in October that mark the resilience of the Key West real estate market. There were 18 single family home sales in all of Key West. I found 4 single family short sales and one bank owned sale during that time. There was only one sale in the core area of Old Town. ( It was a small Conch house at 726 Fleming Street. Great location and it had a pool. But I don't think the city knows there is a pool there. It looked more "homemade" than any pool I ever saw. The place has a transient license, but the license had not been used in years. That house sold at $537 per sq ft.) In October 2008 there were 14 single family home sales. That is a 23% increase in sales over last year.
There were 13 condo and townhome sales in October 2009. We had the same number in 2008. Four of the 13 were noted as short sales and three were shown as bank owned. But CLICK HERE to see a shocker. I missed it when it happened because I did not recognize the street address. You see there have not been many sales at 281 Trumbo Road (more commonly referred to as The Steam Plant). This 2884 sq ft unit was sold Doug Mayberry for a whopping $2,835,000 or $980 per sq ft. Congrats!
I was also encouraged by the brisk activity of recent listings that went under contract this past month. 907 Elizabeth Street, 1126 Stump Lane, 709 Windsor Lane (all Old Town locations) went under contract within a couple of days of being listed. Despite what some naysayers may espouse, the Key West real estate market is very active.
It is listing season again. Many sellers traditionally wait until just before the holidays to list houses for sale. The asking prices for Old Town and Casa Marina appear to be rising on a per sq ft basis for nicer homes in the Old Town and Casa Marina areas. I'm not saying that the sales prices are up there, but the asking prices are starting to rise. There aren't many houses under $1 million in Old Town or Casa Marina. But there are a lot of single family homes priced just under $1.8 million and higher in those same areas. It will be interesting to see how the law of supply and demand works out. I know there are some very pricey houses whose owners need to sell. And there are some cash rich buyers looking for a prize property at a bargain price.
There are still plenty of condos and townhomes on the market, but the availability of units in some locations (like the Key West Golf Club) is starting to shrink. Most of the cheaper units are not where second home buyers want to be. Eighteen of the houses or condos that sold in October were priced at or under $500,000 with an average price per of $254 per sq ft. Again, most of those units are in areas that most second home owners would not consider as a second home location (except the golf course or Old Town).
The market is contracting. The market is demanding. The market is not egalitarian.
CLICK HERE to search the real Key West Association of Realtors mls database. If you see a property that you like, please contact me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or reach me by e-mail at email@example.com. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty Inc. in Key West, Florida.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (153)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- Pretty as a Picture - 720 Passover Lane - Key West...
- Open House - Sunday - Key West
- 1502 Petronia Street - Key West - Open Tod...
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Nickeled & Dimed to Death in Key West
- 1800 Atlantic Condominiums - Key West
- 1410 Duncan - Key West
- 605 Free School Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 1025 Thompson Lane - Old Town - Key West - Circa 1...
- Pied-à-Terre Anyone? - Old Town - Key West
- 1107 Olivia Street - Transient Licensed Home - Old...
- 512 Margaret Street - Old Town - Key West
- Price Reduction - 915 Angela Street - Old Town - K...
- Affordable* Key West Houses
- 730 Southard Street - Old Town Landmark - Key West...
- 627 Caroline Street - Historic Seaport Area - Key ...
- Single Family Home in Truman Annex under $949,000
- Licensed to Make Money - Key West Waterfront Condo...
- Shopping Lessons
- Disparate* House Buys - Key West
- October Real Estate Sales in Key West
- 1223 Royal Street - Key West
- ▼ November (22)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.