Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

1412 White Street - Casa Marina Area - Key West

Welcome to 1412 White Street Key West

Guest cottage

I fell in love with Key West the first time I visited here in March 1984. It took me a long time to make the move and actually buy a place in Key West. I made offers on several properties, but I always managed to put in some "condition" or requirement that was sure jinx the deal. I eventually was forced to stop screwing around when I bought my first house at 511 Eaton Street. You see, it had been foreclosed and boarded up for two years. I bought it at a public auction. There was no opportunity for me to set the rules. The rules were set for me. All I had to do was make the highest and best offer. The auction was attended by maybe 50 people. I bid the highest and I got the deal of the year.

We are nearing the end of season. Right after Easter the potential buyers will stop coming here en-masse and start to go to their summer places. If you currently follow our mls you probably have noticed many sellers have started to reduce the asking prices because they know when it is over, it is over. The summer does bring some buyers, but it usually brings in more lookers and tire kickers than serious buyers. So if a seller really wants to sell, he or she better get the deal done soon.

The seller of the beautiful two house compound at 1412 White Street just reduced the asking price to $799,000. This property is a listing of Preferred Properties-that is where I work. Although this is not my listing, my broker allowed me to host an open house there on March 7th. I had 68 people come by to take a look. There were no ads; just my blog and Open House signs. Everybody loved it. I really thought I was going to get an offer from one of two different buyers that both came back for second look.s One of the potential buyers went on to look at houses priced much higher in the Old Town area. He came back and said that 1412 White was a much better house, with much larger and more beautiful grounds than a house he looked at in Old Town priced over a million dollars higher. I told him if this house were in Old Town on a great street it would have a "1" in front of the asking price. He got it.

The main house is made for the easy "Key West" style of living. The living, dining, and kitchen are all open. There are French doors on the east side, a bay window looking to the orchid garden at the south, and an eight panel door leading to the covered and lighted rear porch where the laundry room is located. The master bedroom is just off the living area. It is really comfy and has its own French doors that open onto the deck. There is a really charming outdoor shower that is just off the master bedroom. Look at the photo below. See if you can determine how to turn on and off the water. Finally, there is a second floor loft which can be used as a guest bedroom, office, or studio.

Can you figure out how to make the shower work?

Open living -dining -kitchen area with loft above

The guest cottage is extra large and has a wonderful vaulted ceiling that adds an extra large feeling to the room. Two sets of French doors open onto the deck and pool area. This cottage has its own bull bath.

The property is fully fenced and beautifully landscaped. All of the grounds are lit at night (and not with cheesy plug-ins from Home Depot). All of the grounds (including numerous potted plants) are automatically irrigated. There is a gated covered parking spot with brick pavers to boot. The photo below is of a statue that greets you when you first enter the property. The statute does not convey. Notice the tree in the background. It is not dead. It is one of two large Royal Poinciana trees. They are getting ready to emerge from their dormant state. By late May the will be in full bloom with wonderful little red flowers.

Royal Poinciana Tree in background

Somebody is going to get one heck of a deal when they buy this house. It was built new in 1990. It has been carefully attended to over the years. There is no deferred maintenance that I have seen. CLICK HERE for more detailed info on this property and to view more photos.

This property is located only a few blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and our public beaches. The White Street shopping area is a few blocks to the north. And Duval Street is a five to ten minute bike ride depending on where you want to go. I live one block away and I love the neighborhood.

If this sounds like the kind of property that you are looking to buy, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305.766.2642. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West, Florida.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell