Sunday, March 21, 2010
810 Whitehead Street - Old Town - Key West
There is a new listing that you price-conscious (bargain hunters) might want to consider. It is the really cute cottage home located at 810 Whitehead Street. I'll bet you have passed it on making the pilgrimage to the Ernest Hemingway House at 907 Whitehead Street. The Southernmost Point is two blocks beyond to the south. The Ft. Zachary Taylor State Park and beach, the best beach in Key West, is a five minute bike ride to the west. There are lots of small inexpensive eateries all within a couple of blocks. There are art galleries and lots of water holes on Dual Street. People save up there money and vacation time all year to come here for a couple of weeks. If you owned this cottage, you could do the same thing every day for the rest of your life.
The listing Realtor describes this property thus:
"Built in 1908, this Conch cottage has vaulted ceilings throughout, loft (finished half story of 240 feet as per the tax rolls), Dade County pine floors and driftwood accent wall, operable antique stained glass windows and a large lanai off the kitchen overlooking a large backyard. Perfect walking distance to everything downtown. Plenty of room for a pool and possible expansion of living space."
I showed the house two weeks ago and I thought it was just a wonderful small space for someone looking for a nice house in a nice location who does not need room for extraneous relatives and friends. There are plenty of hotels in Key West and many are located within a few blocks of this place.
The front yard has the requisite white picket fence and inviting front porch. (I mentioned the pilgrimage. You can watch it daily from the porch.) Notice the trellis over the gate. Quaint, all right. Inside you will find the living room with a ship ladder to a loft space where your guests can stay if they refuse to rent a room somewhere else. It's better than having them make you sleep on the sofa or worse share your bed. The real bedroom is near the rear just off the really sweet kitchen. The entire backyard has brick pavers. The area is lightly landscaped so there is not a lot of plants that need constant care. As the yard now exists there is a lot of open space where you could put in a pool or garden or perhaps both. This is an ideal spot for someone who has a big old hound that needs some room to roam. The covered space provides lots of shade and the open space plenty of sunshine.
It is the back yard that will captivate you, however. There is a covered outdoor lounge area just off kitchen. French doors open from the kitchen onto this space so there is lots of light in the kitchen. The outdoor lounge becomes an extension of this house, just like it does in the more expensive homes on the other side of Duval Street. The rear yard is covered in brick pavers save the areas where some palms and other trees are located. Notice the orchid wall on the back fence. While you are "noticing", notice the hammock. The area is totally private.
The listing agent says the 729 sq ft one bedroom cottage sits on a 2051 sq ft lot (21' x 98') one block west of Duval Street. It is offered at the asking price of $339,000. This is not a short sale and no banks are or will be involved. CLICK HERE to read the mls details and view photos of 810 Whitehead Street.
If you are interested in seeing this home or any other home in Key West, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642, or e-mail me at email@example.com. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West, Florida.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (214)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- 409 William Street - Old Town - Key West
- Casa Palmera - Sold - Key West
- Bank Owned - Compound - Transient Licensed - Key W...
- Irreplacable - 1010 Elgin Lane - Old Town - Key W...
- Key West Bank Seized & Sold
- Beautiful Arts & Crafts Style House - Bank Owned -...
- Sweet Elizabeth - Old Town - Key West
- 1304 Atlantic Drive - Bank Owned - Key West
- 3814 Flager Avenue - Riviera Canal - Bank Owned - ...
- Story Book Cottage - Just Listed - Key West
- 810 Whitehead Street - Old Town - Key West
- 1012 Varela Street - Bank Owned - Key West
- Davy Crockett Remembered
- 715 and 719 Whitmarsh Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 1412 White Street - Casa Marina Area - Key West
- The Bank Grinch Who Stole Christmas - Part Two
- The One That Got Away - Key West
- 916 Fleming Street - Bank Owned - Millionaire Row
- 628 William Street - Old Town Beauty - Key West
- "Sup? in Key West
- Open House - Sunday - 1412 White Street - Key Wes...
- You're Gonna Howl with Laughter at this New Bank O...
- 1217 Grinnell Street - Key West
- 810 Carey Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 1413 Albury St - Bank Owned - Key West
- Opportunity Knocks - Shipyard Condo - Key West
- 1800 Atlantic Condominiums - Penthouse Units - Key...
- ▼ March (27)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (171)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.