Thursday, June 24, 2010
I have written about 1115 South Street a few times. I have shown this house several times. It has not sold. I think this is a very nice house in a very good Casa Marina location. I think the new asking price of $790,000 makes this house worthy of a second look by potential buyers that looked at it when it was priced as high as $1,285,000 and also makes it worthy of a first look by new buyers.
Let's start with the location. 1115 South Street is located in the Casa Marina area of Key West. Click the MAP to get a sense of why I think this location is so great. You come to Key West to enjoy the outdoors. We are on a little island at the end of the road. It takes time to get here. So not everyone comes here. Plenty of "boat people" as I call them get off the cruise ships and take Conch Train rides or rent scooters or bikes to do a Gilligan three hour tour of Key West only to get back on the big boat and head elsewhere.
People that stay a little longer in Key West learn to love the island for its simple beauty. I went down to Higgs Beach this morning to take some photos for you. Of course the memory card on my camera maxed out so I didn't do what I planned. 1115 South Street is a five minute or five block bike ride from the beach. You can do as I did this morning and go down there and watch the beach sweeper manicure the sand for today's beach goers. Later in the day the volleyball players will show up and their sweaty muscles will glisten as they strain to smash the other side. Others will either rent a chair or bring their own from home and find a place to work on that Key West tan. Some regulars have skin that looks like leather. Newbies pale by comparison. But they all enjoy the day in the sun as they watch nothing much happen. You might go over to Salute on the Beach and have a cheap but really good meal. Try the anti pasta platter. You can't beat the price and the food is great. The views are free. Or take a picnic lunch. If you lived in Key West, you could do that daily.
1115 South Street has been on the market for quite a while. It was listed in later 2008 at $1,285,000 and the price was periodically reduced to the current $790,000 or $420 per sq ft. The 1881 sq ft two story home has two bedrooms and two baths. The downstairs is just great. You enter off a great bricked front entry into a great room with very tall ceilings. The place has a feeling of real importance. The rear half of the main floor is the kitchen and dining area. This house has got to appeal to foodies that want to create the ultimate meal day after day in the chef's kitchen. There is a side deck where you grill and dine al fresco. But the pool area at the rear is just so damned beautiful. (I didn't take any pics of my own. Let's go visit so you can see for yourself.) A full bath is also (and I must add oddly) located downstairs.
Upstairs there are two bedrooms. The master is not overly large nor impressive. But it is not bad. It is just a bedroom. The second bedroom is oddly shaped and it shares the second floor bath with the master or uses the downstairs bathroom. The current bed and bath configuration are odd. But for the price and location, I think a smart buyer will snap this place up and hire a talented architect and builder and come up with a different way of utilizing the extra large and unused second floor attic space over the kitchen living area. There is plenty of room to correct the ill conceived present configuration. The new pricing makes a renovation affordable. When you see that pool and see the downstairs you will immediately understand why I like this house at this price.
Potential buyers need to understand that most of the homes in the Casa Marina area are priced much higher. There are few homes available in the Casa Marina area for sale at the moment. The house at 1115 South Street has so much to offer at a very good price. If the house were perfect, the house would cost more. Buy it, fix it, and make out like a bandit.
CLICK HERE to view the mls listing information and to view more interior and pool views of 1115 South Street. Please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 to schedule a showing of this property. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West, Florida. If you lived in Key West you could go over to Higgs Beach every morning to watch the sunrise on a new day in Paradise. Whereas if you live in New Jersey you can't. Life is full of choices.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (214)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- Emma's Secret - 715 Emma Street # 4 - Key West
- 728 Windsor Lane - Key West - Price Reduction
- Young at Heart in Key West
- 1115 South Street - Casa Marina Area - Key West
- Family Home - 201 Virginia Street - Key West
- 316 Peacon Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 511 Frances Street - Short Sale - Key West
- 1217 Petronia Street - Short Sale - Key West
- The Plight of the Living Dead
- Key West Dream House
- 824 Shavers Lane - Key West
- 2327 Harris Street - Key West - Short Sale
- Cover Girl - Key West Style
- 715 Emma Street - Old Town - Key West
- GLEE Club - Key West
- May 2010 Key West Real Estate Sale Report
- 1215 Duncan Street - Key West Sale - Duplex
- ▼ June (17)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.