Wednesday, June 2, 2010
May 2010 Key West Real Estate Sale Report
The Key West Association of Realtors sent out the May Real Estate Sales Report yesterday. It confirms what I have been citing anecdotally about real estate sales increasing in the numbers of units sold and in the sales price appreciation since 2009. CLICK HERE to review the May Sales Reports for the Key West area only.
I won't bore you to tears with what sold but you can CLICK HERE to see the single family home sales for Key West during May. My search varies a bit from that of the Key West Association of Realtors . Mine shows that there were 19 single family home sales in Key West during May. Three were noted by the listing agent as short sales and four were bank owned properties. The average price per sq ft was $388. This marks a little improvement over the same time in 2009 when there were 15 sales four of which were bank owned houses and three were shown as short sales. (One of the flaws of our mls system is that some agents (or their sellers) do not want to show that a short sale actually occurred. )
There were 18 townhome and condominium sales during May 2010. Three of the sale weRe bank owned properties and six were shown as short sales. The average price per sq ft was $365 during May 2010. Compare that with 2009 sales figures which showed 14 total sales of which 8 were bank owned condos/townhomes and 3 short sales that had an average sales price of $251 per sq ft. That is a price increase of 68% over the same time last year. Compare also the number of bank owned units was down to 3 in 2010 as opposed to 8 in 2009. Don't tell me that bank sales don't depress the market. They brutalize it. CLICK HERE to see what sold in May 2010.
Despite what some naysayers say, the real estate market in Key West is on the rise once again. We have a small island with a limited supply of homes and condos. The State of Florida has imposed a very restrictive policy on new housing construction. As the "oversupply" of available houses (condos and townhomes) diminish, the prices on well located properties in good condition should increase. If you have been waiting for prices to go lower, you may be disappointed to see that prices are going up instead.
I took the photo at the top of today's blog a couple of weeks ago. I was driving home from Winn Dixie when I saw the BBQ Pampered Pet sign and screamed in delight. I had to turn around and go back to take a pic. CLICK HERE to see the rest of the sign. You already knew we don't eat our pets in Key West. Didn't you?
If you are looking to purchase a second home in Key West, please contact me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2012 (238)
- ► 2011 (259)
- Emma's Secret - 715 Emma Street # 4 - Key West
- 728 Windsor Lane - Key West - Price Reduction
- Young at Heart in Key West
- 1115 South Street - Casa Marina Area - Key West
- Family Home - 201 Virginia Street - Key West
- 316 Peacon Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 511 Frances Street - Short Sale - Key West
- 1217 Petronia Street - Short Sale - Key West
- The Plight of the Living Dead
- Key West Dream House
- 824 Shavers Lane - Key West
- 2327 Harris Street - Key West - Short Sale
- Cover Girl - Key West Style
- 715 Emma Street - Old Town - Key West
- GLEE Club - Key West
- May 2010 Key West Real Estate Sale Report
- 1215 Duncan Street - Key West Sale - Duplex
- ▼ June (17)
- ► 2009 (247)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (172)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.