Sunday, September 12, 2010
If I were driving down Fogarty Avenue and saw the for sale sign at 2020 Fogarty, I probably wouldn't give the property a second look. A big old wood privacy fence dominates most of the yard except for the space occupied by the unsightly homemade carport. But I would be wrong to do so.
The house at 2020 Fogarty was just listed as a short sale, but not by me. I decided to take a look at the mls listing photos and saw something I did not expect, a really charming indoor-outdoor space and a beautiful pool. I then compared the house to what it looked like when it sold a few years back and said to myself "Self, this looks like a great little house."
CLICK HERE to checkout the current mls short sale listing information sheet on 2020 Fogarty Avenue. I don't want to confuse you, so blink your eyes and also CLICK HERE to view the mls listing data sheet and photos when this same house sold in 2004 for $650,000. I think a side by side comparison may help those with poor vision to decide maybe they should take a personal view of this property. Even the old comparison photos show the ugly fence can look great. Who would have thunk!
This house was built in 1953 and is typical of other houses on the same block (in fact on other blocks in this mid town neighborhood). Some of the houses look pretty much today like they did when they were built. But others have been dolled up and look really nice.
I guess houses sometimes reflect the personalities of the people who live inside of them. Some are well maintained and have a very charming facade just like the one next door at 2016 Fogarty CLICK HERE. Others like one across the street CLICK HERE look a little unkempt.
You pretty much need to look at each house individually. I guess these houses are like the people who live in them. Some are fancy and some less so. They all provide shelter. Some are in better shape. Some like the house at 2020 Fogarty might get overlooked simply because of the ugly fence. Like I said, that would be wrong. I often refer to "the vision thing" and suggest to buyers to conjer up a vision of how a house would look if they owned it. I think the house at 2020 Fogarty Avenue would look a lot more inviting if that fence and bricked front yard were removed and a new lush green lawn and some delicate palms framed the yard instead. Replace the gravel driveway with brick pavers and maybe put up a white picket fence.
The house at 2020 Fogarty Avenue is 1496 sq ft of living space comprised of 3 bedrooms and sits on a 5000 sq ft lot (50' x 100'). The star feature of this house has to be the indoor-outdoor living space. Look at the photos above to see how Key Westie this house feels where the outdoors appears to be part of the indoors and vice-versa. This is what Key West living is all about. And when you consider the asking price is just $329,000, you just might want to look at this property to see for yourself how you might enhance this property.
If you are looking for a nice Key West family home at a modest price, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642, to schedule a showing of this property. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West, Florida. Invoke that vision thing.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (119)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- 817 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West
- Beautiful Arts & Crafts Style House - Bank Owned -...
- 210 Golf Club Drive - The Sanctuary - Bank Owned ...
- Calling Lt. Columbo
- 1021 Fleming Street - Bank Owned - Key West
- The Real Housebuys of Key West
- 1107 Olivia Street - Transient Licensed - Old Town...
- 1200 Varela Street - Just Became a Better Compound...
- 1304 Atlantic Drive - Bank Owned - Key West
- 1025 Thompson Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 2020 Fogarty Avenue - Key West - Short Sale
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- 718 Olivia Street - Short Sale - Old Town - Key We...
- Beachside Key West Resort Condominium - Short Sale...
- Affordable Key West Townhome - Short Sale
- August 2010 Real Estate Sales Report - Key West
- Quit Your Job. Move to Key West. Open a Hamburger ...
- ▼ September (17)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.