Tuesday, March 22, 2011
With Apolgies to the Beach Boys, I Give You "Damn Citations"
It happens every Spring. The college kids come to Key West to party hard and have fun. No shirt, no shoes, no problem for the most part. Kids bring lots of cash and have a good time. They aren't bad kids. They are probably your kids or your nieces and nephews. They are just here to have some fun in the sun. The problem is they have fun when the sun don't shine. They have fun so late sometimes that they wake up the roosters by partying too hard in the pool in the house that they rented. And its not only the rooster that gets awakened. Sometimes it is the next door neighbors. But first, the verse:
I'm pickin' up damn citations
(Oom bop bop damn citations)
She's giving me some damn citations
(Oom bop bop citations)
Damn, damn, damn, damn citations
(Oom bop bop)
She's giving me damn citations
(Oom bop bop damn citations)
There is a story on the front page of today's Key West Citizen (READ HERE) that tells the tale of what could happen if you rent to spring breakers or anyone else and do not have a transient rental license or if you do not (allegedly-like they say on TV when the cops nab the culprit in plain view of everybody but don't want to presume him guilty) have a valid monthly vacation rental agreement.
It's not fair to pick on the college kids that come to Key West to have fun. Many 'adults' do the same thing except they are usually not as thin or as cute as the college kids, but some are as nearly nude and certainly as loud after they have had a few (dozen) beers. When they take the party back to their rented house and wake the locals who, for the most part are a tolerant bunch, things change. Patience wears very thin in the wee hours of the morning.
You can rent a house or a condo as a vacation rental but you need to follow the rules. If you don't, and if you get caught, you can go to real estate jail. No, they don't put you in a cell. But they can put you through hell. That extra money you could have made will go the City of Key West and not to your child's college fund.
Owning a house or a condo with a transient rental license is one way to avoid going to real estate jail. (A transient rental licenses permits an owner to rent his property on a daily basis every day of the year, the same as an innkeeper rents a room.) The other is to be a responsible owner and not to violate the Golden Rule: don't piss off the neighbors. Make sure your rental agent earns the management fee you pay and does not allow a rental to The Situation turn into a Damn Citation.
If you are looking to buy a house or condo in Key West that has a transient rental license, please consider working with me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or contact me by email at email@example.com. I am a full time buyer's agent and Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West. Avoid real estate jail; buy a place that's legal.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (109)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- The Gardenia House - 906 Georgia Street - The Mead...
- 550 Porter Lane - Presidents Lane Townhomes - Bank...
- 1004 Packer Street - Short Sale - Key West
- 901 Thomas Street - Old Town - Key West
- 273 Southard Street - Presidents Lane - Truman Ann...
- 1800 Atlantic Condominium Unit A 208 - Bank Owned ...
- With Apolgies to the Beach Boys, I Give You "Damn ...
- Directions You Don't Take
- 1327 White Street - Key West - Open House - Saturd...
- 1121 Watson Street #2 - Key West - Short Sale
- 813 Frances Street - Old Town Charmer - Short Sale...
- 1026 Howe Street - Bahama Village - Key West
- 1012 Southard Street - Premier Old Town Location -...
- Open House - Today - 418 Porter Lane - Truman Anne...
- Best Friends
- Bank Owned - Key West Golf Course
- Key West Waterfront at Affordable Price
- 808 South Street - Southpark Condos - Key West
- Key West with One Regret
- 1311 Newton Street - The Meadows Area - Key West
- 623 Grinnell Street - Old Town Classic Renovation ...
- 920 Pohalski Lane - Short Sale - Key West
- 405 William Street - Old Town - Key West
- Key West: Optimism or Despair?
- ▼ March (25)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.