Saturday, May 14, 2011
719 Chapman Lane - Bank Owned - Key West
The newly listed Bank Owned single family house at 719 Chapman Lane in the Bahama Village area of Old Town Key West was just listed for $499,100 or $237 per sq ft. The house has been bank owned since since September 30, 2010 but was just listed in the Key West mls on Friday.
The same house was listed for sale in the go-go years at $1,200,000 (2005) and later $1,099,000 in 2006. It did not sell. The house was built new (not renovated) in 1999. It has 2108 sq ft of living space on three floors. It sits on a 27' x 98' (2646 sq ft) lot. See the diagram and photo below that show the house layout and how it it looked in 2006.
The Monroe County Property Appraiser took the above photo in 1965 but notes the house at 719 Chapman Lane was razed in 1967. Proof that the new house really is a new house.
For comparison purposes the house next door to the south (721 Chapman Lane) SOLD on March 29, 2011 for $370,000 or $195 per sq ft. (It sold 18 days after being listed at $425,000.) I wrote about that house when it was also a bank owned property. I even did a broker's price opinion on that property and pegged the probable sales price at $375,000. My estimate was pretty close. That house was livable but I felt it needed some work. It certainly needed cleaned and painted. It had a pool, but the front yard had a pretty white picket fence instead of parking.
Two years ago I wrote about the then short sale at 710 Chapman Lane. I loved that house. It was a renovated single family with 1200 sq ft of living space, a white picket fence, and room for a pool. It ended up selling for $385,000 or $321 per sq ft.
All three houses are located on Chapman Lane which is three blocks from Duval between Petronia Street to the south and Angela Street to the north. One block long and most of the houses have been renovated. If that block were located three blocks east of Duval, we would not be writing about any of these houses at selling or being offered for sale as such low prices.
The City of Key West is nearing final approval on the redevelopment of the Truman Annex marina and park. It is located just a couple of blocks further west of Chapman Lane. Angela Street is supposed to provide a walking lane type entrance into that area. When the redevelopment is completed, I believe that property values in the immediate area will increase dramatically.
In the meantime if you owned the house at 719 Chapman Lane you could walk a little over one block to have breakfast at La Creperie or dinner at Blue Heaven or maybe do tapas at Santiago's La Bodega. You could ride your bike over to Ft Zach Taylor beach and work on that Key West tan. Or you could do any manner of things people in Key West do every day. This block is populated mostly by full time homeowners but there are a few second homes located here as well. After the Truman Annex is completed I expect there will be a shift between full time and second home ownership.
If you are looking for a newer home in Key West and want the convenience of being located near major Key West attractions but don't want to pay the high cost of ownership by being located on the supposed best street, you should really take a serious look at 719 Chapman Lane. Understand that a similar house on a more sought after block in Old Town will cost about $500,000 more. Please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 to schedule your visit. I am a buyer's agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2018 (89)
- ► 2017 (165)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- No Bottom-Feeders, Please - Key West
- Open House - 630 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Key...
- Back on the Market - 1800 Atlantic Condominium Uni...
- 620 Frances Street - Old Town - Key West
- Second Chance - 1222 Johnson Street - Casa Marina ...
- 920 Pohalski Lane - Short Sale - Key West - Back o...
- Non-Bargain Properties in Key West
- 1126 Washington Street - Casa Marina Area - Key We...
- 719 Chapman Lane - Bank Owned - Key West
- 829 Simonton Street - Old Town - Key West - Histor...
- 2026 Seidenberg - Mid-Century Classic in Mid-Town ...
- 1216 Catherine Street - Short Sale - Key West
- 1014 Elgin Lane - Short Sale - Old Town - Key West...
- 1800 Atlantic Penthouse Condo - Key West Waterfron...
- Key West Tongue Twister: Sunrise at Seaside Short ...
- Secret Hideout Found in Key West!
- The Good Life - Casa Marina Area at Its Best
- Bank Owned - Key West - Waterfront - Affordable Fa...
- 408 Porter Court - Key West - Money Maker
- ▼ May (19)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (242)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.