Thursday, July 7, 2011
518 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Short Sale
This is another 'just listed but not by me' blogs. But this is one you bargain hunters ought to consider acting on quickly, because it will likely be under contract within a couple of days. 518 Elizabeth Street is offered as a short sale at the asking price of $425,000 or just $152 per sq ft. CLICK HERE to view the Key West mls datasheet. Note the listing states that this property has a Transient Rental License.
I dug into the old shoe box and found the photo of 518 Elizabeth Street (above) that was taken in 1965. The Monroe County Property Appraiser claims 1924 as the year of construction, but other nearby houses are much older. The first house I sold in Key West is located two doors to the north at 514 Elizabeth Street. It was built in 1855. Loyal readers know that the county records were reconstructed by members of the WPA during the Great Depression (the one before the current). The records are not always 'correct' as to date of construction on many of the older properties. Construction dates on many older properties are derived from the dates the building first appeared on any number of city maps. The county shows 518 Elizabeth Street as having 1720 sq ft of living space (not including porches). The building sits on a large lot for Old Town (32' X 102') or 4051 sq ft. Note that the listing Realtor cites the property as being 2794 sq ft in living space. I have no way of reconciling the difference between the county records and the agent's datasheet.
Readers may recall that I wrote about this block in February 2010 when the Gentle Touch Cleaners (510 Elizabeth Street) was razed to permit the construction of a new single family residence. CLICK HERE to read what I wrote then (and view pics) because it is illustrative of the value of the lot alone at 518 Elizabeth Street. The 510 Elizabeth Street lot sold for $714,000 or $139 per sq ft for a 5150 sq ft lot on which to build a new house to replicate other Old Town houses.
I have not been inside 518Elizabeth Street yet, but I suspect this house needs updated. Potential buyers that want a project could have a field day on this big old girl. The depth of the lot and location make it a great candidate for renovation.
Click on GOOGLE MAP for an aerial view of the property and then use the toggle switch for a street view. The Google team has been in Key West doing new photos. I hope they hurry because the original set often give a bad impression of our very pretty town. The aerial photo, however, ought to give any potential buyer assurance that this is a superior location near the top of Solares Hill.
If you are looking for a great renovation project in Old Town, this may be what you have been looking for. Please contact me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or by email at email@example.com. I am a buyer's agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (152)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- Very Affordable Key West Condo - Bank Owned
- Key West and The Hundred Dollar House...
- Easy Living in the Casa Marina Area
- Artist's Retreat - 809 Virginia Street - Key West...
- 1301 Whitehead Street - Key West - Papa's "Other" ...
- 1017 17th Street - Key West - Bank Owned
- 1517 Washington - east Casa Marina Area - Key West...
- Enchanting 1325 South Street - Casa Marina Area - ...
- 1320 Angela Street - Meadows Area Duplex - Short S...
- The Projects of Key West
- 820 Terry Lane - Key West - Bank Owned
- If You Build It, They Will Come!
- 912 Windsor Lane - Old Town - Key West - Bank Owne...
- Pied-à-Terre por Vous? - Bank Owned - Key West
- Key West Beach Club - Sunrise to Sunset Waterfront...
- 1217 Newton Street - Key West
- 1012 Southard Street - Premier Old Town Location -...
- 518 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Short Sale
- On the Waterfront - Key West
- Happy 4th of July!
- Life on Poorhouse Lane - It Ain't a Bitch!
- ▼ July (22)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.