Just listed, but not by me, is a newly completed renovation of an absolutely charming two bedroom two bath home in the quiet Meadows Area of Key West. I wrote about this property a couple of years ago when it was offered as a short sale. I even had a buyer who made an offer that was accepted and we went through months of negotiation with the prior owners' lender and eventually got the short sale approved. Then my buyer decided not to buy. The buyer did not do the inspection. The buyer got cold feet. So the very disappointed seller had to start the process over again. Months later the short sale was approved and a new owner bought the house. The floor plan was thoughtfully redesigned and spaces meticulously updated. When I walked into this house my jaw dropped!
I had stood in the middle sawtooth addition to the origninal small eyebrow house many times and told potential buyers what they might do to the property to make the space more functional. Buyers often imagine huge costs and horrendous contractor experiences (too much HGTV home remodel nightmares). The new owner did what I imagined and combined two smaller rooms (the old kitchen and a wrongly placed bathroom) into a lovely new kitchen with a captivating view of the lush tropical pool. Except my vision in no way conceived of how great the space could or would become. BRAVO!
The new owner fixed what had been the problem with the house for years by reassigning the use of the front two rooms in the house, both of which were ill conceived and non-functional bedrooms. The front door of the house opened into what was the original living room. A prior renovation added a stairway to the second floor which made the space clumsy and almost too small for a bed. Besides, who wants to enter a home by going in the bedroom? There was another small bedroom suitable for a crib or may usable as an office. The new owner redirected the stairway to the east side of the house where the main entry was relocated forevermore. The crib room became two new bathrooms. The front bath is en suite to the bedroom. A second guest bath has entry off the living room which is the main sawtooth addition in the middle. The former tiny kitchen with small under counter refrigerator and freezer and tiny dishwasher was ripped out. The adjacent bath was also removed. The wall between the two rooms was removed and the resultant large new space was outfitted with a deluxe new kitchen that screams panache!
The upstairs was tweaked and spaces that were funky became ever so inviting. I could not have ever imagined the bathroom in that house could look as wonderful as it became. The door in the middle of the bedroom opens out to the front second floor porch that overlooks quiet Petronia Street. I could just imagine how cook it would be to sit there late at night listening to not much of anything.
The new owner cleaned up years of neglect to the pool area. The deck was replaced and an awning added. New tropical plants were added. The two large coconut palms on either side of the pool and the large canopy of trees in the neighboring yard and new tropical foliage added to the rear yard make this space lush. It is picture perfect. I invited myself to sit down at the table and imagined drinking a Bloody Mary. Aah!
I took more photos which you can see if you CLICK HERE. 1411 Petronia Street is offered for sale at $895,000. CLICK HERE to view the Key West Association of Realtors mls datasheet and to view the listing photos. The house has just 1120 sq ft of living space so the asking price on a per sq ft basis may bother some people who shop for houses like they shop for body soap: they shop by the price of the bar. Some soaps smell great and cost a lot. Some soaps are cheap and do the job. Some soaps are a bit rough like Lifebuoy. Other soaps like Caress cost more but do more, like caress your skin.
1411 Petronia Street is located three blocks east of White Street. It's a long walk or a quick bike ride over to Duval Street or the Seaport. Most of the island's gyms and yoga places are located within a few blocks which makes it an easy walk to do your daily exercise routine. Bayview Park is a couple of blocks to the south. The city's bandstand and public tennis courts are located there. This is a very nice and comfortable neighborhood where most of the homes have been updated. While this home does not have off street parking, parking is not a problem here. Most of the houses are single family and there are no commercial activities competing for on street parking.
If you would like to see this nifty home, please contact me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West, Florida. If you snooze on this, you will lose and that is a fact. This is a real buying opportunity.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (216)
- ► 2013 (236)
- 20874 W 9th Avene - Cudjoe Key - Florida
- 1019 Whitehead Street - Old Town - Key West
- 1014 Vareal Street #1 - Bank Owned - Key West
- Feds Behaving Badly
- 812 Fleming Street #4 - Newly Listed Condo - Heart...
- 626 Grinnell Street - Old Town - Key West
- 804 Catherine Street - Old Town - Key West
- 1403 Catherine Street - Key West
- 704 William Street - Old Town - Key West - Short S...
- 1223 Margaret Street - Key West
- 2533 Patterson Avenue - Key West - Bank Owned
- I Sell Real Houses in Key West
- 1411 Petronia Street - The Meadows Area - Key West...
- 707 Southard Street - Old Town Key West Chramer Ex...
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- 627 Elizabeth Street - Sitting Pretty Atop Solares...
- Bank Owned "Fixer" with Huge Upside - Key West
- 621 Caroline Street - Old Town - Key West
- Seascape Tropical Inn - 420 Olivia Street - Key We...
- 1514 4th Street - Key West
- ▼ April (20)
- ► 2011 (256)
- ► 2010 (238)
- ► 2009 (247)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (171)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.