Prices are rising, sellers are getting greedy again, and the dream of buying a place in Key West may start to fade for those who waited too long.
Instead of buying a big house (or small cottage) you might consider purchasing the next best thing: a reproduction of a real Key West home. Consider the 718 Eaton Street's look-a-like home shown above. It is the creation of local artist Ronny Bailey who I have blogged about before.
Ronny grew up in Key West and was a carpenter for 30 years. His re-creation of Old Town Key West homes in miniature sizes is now his passion. He beams with pride as he talks about his work. This is a man in love with his life and his work. And his work is a testament to his love of the place that he has called home. He loves the Key West of yore and recreates houses the way they looked before the gentrification and HARC-ifornication.
Ronny brought his latest masterpiece to my office a couple of days ago. He smiled a big smile as I photographed this glorious piece of art. The house real house is located at 718 Eaton Street. It is located next door to the former house known as the Calvin Klein House. The home next door to the east was featured in the Cuba Gooding, Jr. movie A Murder of Crows that was filmed in Key West in 1998. Rent it you want to see Key West on film. The film was pretty lame if you ask me.
I scrounged around the old shoe box and found a 1965 photo of 718 Eaton Street and then went over yesterday and took a pic from a similar angle. Compare the house of yore with the home of today. Ronny did a pretty good job if you ask me.
Ronny's reproductions always include miniaturized household items and sometimes depictions of animals. Each wood carving will include the words love, joy, and peace.
CLICK HERE to visit Ronny's FACEBOOK page.
If you are looking for a life size house, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West. I sell real houses. They sometimes cost a lot of money. But you can really live in them. CLICK HERE to search the Key West mls. If you see a place you like, please call me. Thanks.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- 20874 W 9th Avene - Cudjoe Key - Florida
- 1019 Whitehead Street - Old Town - Key West
- 1014 Vareal Street #1 - Bank Owned - Key West
- Feds Behaving Badly
- 812 Fleming Street #4 - Newly Listed Condo - Heart...
- 626 Grinnell Street - Old Town - Key West
- 804 Catherine Street - Old Town - Key West
- 1403 Catherine Street - Key West
- 704 William Street - Old Town - Key West - Short S...
- 2533 Patterson Avenue - Key West - Bank Owned
- I Sell Real Houses in Key West
- 1411 Petronia Street - The Meadows Area - Key West...
- 707 Southard Street - Old Town Key West Chramer Ex...
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- 627 Elizabeth Street - Sitting Pretty Atop Solares...
- Bank Owned "Fixer" with Huge Upside - Key West
- 621 Caroline Street - Old Town - Key West
- Seascape Tropical Inn - 420 Olivia Street - Key We...
- 1514 4th Street - Key West
- ▼ April (19)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.