Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

412 Grinnell Street Key West, Florida

412 Grinnell Street - Old Town - Key West

This beautiful eyebrow house at 412 Grinnell Street has been a favorite of mine since the first time I stepped inside the front door. The listing Realtor describes the home this way:
"This quintessential Eyebrow style home is located in the heart of Old Town near restaurants, shops and the historic waterfront. The home has beautiful street appeal including a white picket fence, shady front porch and off street parking. There are 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths in the main house plus a large 1 bedroom and 1 bath guest cottage. The main level has an open floor plan with living, dining and kitchen and opens through multiple sets of folding French doors onto a large covered porch overlooking the rear garden and 30 ft. x 10 ft. pool and spa. Dade County pine floors and walls as well as other historic features are evident throughout this uniquely Key West home."
412 Grinnell Street built circa 1889

412 Grinnell Street as it appears in 2012

I dug into the old shoebox and found the above black and white photo of 412 Grinnell Street taken back in 1965. It says the house was built circa 1889. I looked in the Monroe County Property Appraiser's records and saw that numerous building permits were taken out in 1995 and 2003-2004 when substantial improvements were made to the property. The color photo was taken in 2012 in the same area as the black and white. The house is much larger now than when built: 1887 sq ft today. The windows, doors, and roof have been replaced. The home now has air conditioning and a white picket fence. The original house was expanded and small guest cottage created at the back of the property. The interiors have all been updated as well. A pool and spa were added and the driveway (and pool area) was bricked. The charm of this old eyebrow house is still in tact. And it looks prettier than ever.  CLICK HERE to view a slide show of photos I took of this wonderful Key West property.

Guest cottage and bricked driveway were added

Prettier than ever
 

412 Grinnell Street is a large house that blends the historic architecture for which Key West is famous with modern convenience of a spacious combined living, dining, and kitchen area that open out to a beautiful outdoor living area and magnificent pool. 

412 Grinnell Street is located near so many of the places that makes Old Town so interesting. One of my favorite places to grab a pastry is the Old Town Bakery located steps away at the corner of Eaton and Grinnell Street. World Famous Finnegan's Wake is a block further to the north and just beyond that is the Historic Key West Seaport. Harpoon Harry's is located in that area as is the Half Shell Raw Bar, Turtle Kralls, and the A and B Lobster House. B.O.'s Fish Wagon is down there too. Up at the corner of Grinnell and Fleming Street you will find Azur Restaurant. One block south you can find a good (and cheap) Cuban Mix sandwich at 5 Brothers. Michael's steak house is one block west and you can usually get a great steak there. The Cafe Marquesa is four blocks west at the corner of 600 Fleming Street - always one of my very favorite places in town. The Red Barn Theater and the Waterfront Playhouse are within walking distance as well.

Coffee and Baked Goodies!

Harpoon Harry's

A and B Lobster House in the background

Azur is just half a block to the south

Michael's Restaurant

Sophisticated without being stuffy!

If and when you buy your dream house in Key West and if it is located in Old Town, you will appreciate the ability to walk a block in the morning to get your morning coffee or being able to walk to the gym or yoga studio and not have to dodge traffic. You will love being able to walk to all kinds of great restaurants or to catch a play or listen to great live music and then be able to walk back home in a little town out in the middle of the ocean far away from the hoopla up north in America.

412 Grinnell Street is offered at $1,195,000. CLICK HERE to view the Key West Association of Realtors mls datasheet on this property. Better yet, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642, to arrange a showing of 412 Grinnell Street. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West, Florida.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it and I want it!

Noisy at night?

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell

My photo
Key West, Florida, United States
I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.