Wednesday, August 7, 2013
2 Fletchers Lane - Hidden Old Town Treasure - Key West
As frequent readers know the Key West mls is auto-filled with data that comes from the Monroe County Property Appraiser database. Unfortunately, the historic property records were destroyed in the great fire many years ago. Members of the WPA recreated those records but made guesses as to when many of our old homes were built - including 2 Fletchers Lane which the official record says was built in 1924. I looked at the Sanborn Fire Maps for Key West and found what I believe to be this property which I have marked with an "X" on the map below. That map was made in 1892 which tells us the house and rear cottage existed prior to 1899. You will note that the house appears to be placed on an angle. That was not uncommon in olden days. Some houses still sit like that. This house has been re situated so that it now sits parallel with the lane.
The ceiling in the living room soars two stories where you will be amazed to see a glass walkway that extends to the second floor reach deck that looks out to the pool and guest cottage at the rear. What an ingenious mix of old school charm with contemporary design. I seriously doubt that our current HARC would ever permit something so genius to be built today.
CLICK HERE to view the Key West mls datasheet and listing photos. This property is listed at $1,123,000. Terri Spottswood is the listing agent and she gave me her permission to write about her new listing.
Windows on two sides open out from the bar to the pool area where you and your guests can lounge in luxury. I exaggerate not: I want this! This is just too cool.
CLICK HERE to view more photos which I took of this really charming Key West property. But better than that, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 to schedule a showing. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Key West. This is a truly incredible home. Don't miss this.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (101)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- 1220 Von Phister Street - Casa Marina Area - Key W...
- 1101 Fleming Street - Old Town - Key West
- Big Deal in Little Key West
- The Projects of Key West - an Update
- 801 Fleming Street - Key West
- New Life into Old Buildings - Key West
- 501 Duval Street - Key West - News You Can Use
- 27 Kingfisher Lane - Key West - Bank Owned - Reduc...
- 1307 Petronia Street - The Meadows Area - Key West...
- 310 Amelia Street - Key West - Bank Owned
- 822 Carsten Lane - Key West - Old Town Dream Cotta...
- 529 Grinnell Street - Old Town - Key West - New Lo...
- 1601 White Street - Key West - Price Reduction
- Things That Have Been Seen Cannot Be Unseen or How...
- 221 Golf Club Drive - The Sanctuary - Key West
- 611 Margaret Street - Old Town - Key West
- 2 Fletchers Lane - Hidden Old Town Treasure - Key ...
- 1114 Watson Street - Old Town - Key West - Legal D...
- 623 Thomas Street #D - Key West, Florida
- Gay Divorce Court
- ▼ August (20)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.