Search This Blog

Monday, February 23, 2015

307 Truman Avenue, Key West

If you are a buyer searching for a Key West house with a checklist that an three bedrooms, two baths, a pool, and parking, you need to checkout 307 Truman Avenue. CLICK HERE to view the Key West Association of Realtors mls datasheet on this 1280 sq ft house that sits in the shadows of the Historic Key West Lighthouse.
I searched the Historic Sanborn Fire Maps and found 406 Division Street on the 1889 Map. The street number on the 1892 Map was changed from 406 Division Street to 307 Division Street. Division Street later became Truman Avenue.  While trying to find the date Division Street became Truman Avenue I found the "Autobiography of Stephen Moreno Whalton" whereupon I learned that before Division Street got that name, it was previously known as Rocky Road. Mr. Whalton* further wrote
"Another event in my life that I have never forgotten happened when I was about seven years old, at that time there were a very few houses on the Southeast side of our Truman Avenue, most of that part of the Island was a wilderness, my grandfather and my father raised quite a number of horses in the woods of Key West, and my grandfather gave me a horse and my father had him broken to harness and saddle, this was a stallion, and somewhat mean. The only time that I was put on his back, was on a Sunday morning, when one of my father’s hired men put me on him without a saddle, as soon as he got out of the yard, he started to run, and I was too small to stop him, there was a man coming up the street who stood with his arms open,but when my horse got near this man, he made a quick turn to go by him, and landed me on a flint rock, I recovered from that accident in about six weeks, but I never had a chance to get even with that horse, as my father sold him before I became old enough to handle him. This was the end of the events of my early childhood, which have remained fresh in my memory down through the years, due of course, to the fact, that they made a great impression on my mind at the time of happening."
Next I looked through the old shoebox and found the black and white photo above of 307 Truman Avenue that was taken in 1965. Look at the clean lines of this simple wood frame house with metal roof. The architecture of old Key West is so basic. So minimalist. The simple lines live on a mere 126 years later. I think the simple architecture of our little town and this little house will continue to appeal to people for decades to come.   

There are three bedrooms and two baths. The master bedroom has an en-suite bath. There is a bonus loft space in the living room that is accessed via ship's ladder. There is another open space over the the front porch that provides some architectural interest inside the living room. The kitchen is really sweet.It adds so much architectural flavor to this place. The rear deck has a canvas awing. A small heated pool was added within the last five years. Other recent additions include a new roof, central air, hot water heater and stainless refrigerator. There two off street parking spots.


307 Truman Avenue is offered fully furnished except for artwork at the asking price of $895,000.  All you will need do is bring your toothbrush. Please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 to schedule a private showing. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Key West. 
*There are two different streets in Key West named after Stephen Moreno Whalton. I happen to live at the corner of Whalton Street and Von Phister Street in the Casa Marina area. The other street is Whalton Lane which is accessed off Duval Street between Truman and Olivia Streets. Mr. Whalton's boyhood home was located there.

CLICK HERE to read the  "Autobiography of Stephen Moreno Whalton". It's great reading if you love Key West. I promise.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell