Search This Blog

Saturday, March 4, 2017

806 Virginia Street, Key West A Treat of a Retreat

A couple of days ago during Realtor Caravan I got to see a house that I never knew existed. I had driven by it many times and I have written about other homes on the same block. But for some reason 806 Virginia Street in Key West had never caught my eye. But after having seen it, I really want to find a buyer for it. It is an unexpected treat which could be the right buyers special retreat. Let me tell you why.
I went to my old shoebox and found one of my favorite photos of old Key West. It was taken in the 1920s and shows St. Mary's Catholic Church located on Truman Avenue. The property I am discussing today was not built until 1950. The photo shows what appear to be three two story homes located at the "T instersection" of Windsor Lane and Virginia Street. I marked where I think modern day 806 Virginia came to replace on of the earlier houses. None of the other two still exist either.
I also found a 1965 vintage photo of 806 Virginia Street. The physical appearance of the original house has not changed all that much compared to the 60's photo. The screened front porch on the left still exists as do the faux stones that trim many parts of the house. The windows were replaced and white picket fence has been added. There is gated off street parking to the right,
The screened porch leads into the great room. It looks as though the owner removed an original wall which may have compartmentalized the living, kitchen, and dining areas and combined the space into a modern open concept space. French doors were added on  the side leading out to the pool and garden area.
The listing Realtor describes 806 Virginia Street this way:
"This mid-century home, just blocks from Duval St, was custom designed and built to last with concrete block construction and permastone accents. French doors open to both the screened front porch and the spacious back deck and pool area, allowing island breezes to cool the interior and seamlessly blending indoor and outdoor living spaces. High & dry in X-500 flood zone.Set on a huge lot with privacy fencing and mature landscaping, this is a secluded sanctuary in the heart of Old Town. Modern kitchen, hardwood oak floors, and custom iridescent pool tile are just a few of the other beautiful features. Private pool, off-street parking, and proximity to everything Key West has to offer make this the ideal tropical oasis."
This home was built in 1950 and does not look like any other house I have been inside in Key West especially any home of that era. Each of the three bedrooms is located on a corner with the master bedroom located just off the screened front porch (four photos above). Light filters through windows on two sides in each bedroom. This is just awesome.
The house sits on a 63' X 77' lot (4871 sq ft) which is quite large for Old Town. The pool is located on the west side of the lot. It was bright and sunny when I saw it a few days ago. The little cottage in the rear is where the laundry room is located. It is not large enough to be converted into a bedroom.  There is however more side yard over that way. CLICK HERE to view the Key West MLS datasheet and then please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642, to schedule an appointment to see this really nice home. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Key West. There is nothing to fix here. This place is as clean as a whistle and is in move-in condition. This home would make a wonderful year round home or the perfect Key West retreat.

3 comments:

FloridaAG said...

Great house (belongs to my friends) - the owner grew up in the house and his family developed the townhouses at 808. They have excellent taste and the pool/yard is fabulous.

I live on this block

Gary Thomas said...

When I searched the property records I did not see any "sale". The online records only go back twenty years or so, but the no prior sale often indicates a really long period of ownership. Thanks for making sense of this particular place.

I sent this to a couple of buyers of mine. People have conceptual ideas of what they want and do not want to consider things that do not fit the mold. Several agents who saw the house last week were absolutely in love with this place.

FloridaAG said...

My pleasure. Have lived on the block since 2011. While I hope the house sells soon for the owners, we will miss them greatly as they are wonderful people.

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell