Monday, May 22, 2017
Key West and the Slop Jug House
I had a year-long history of working with a wannabe buyer who was looking for a bargain. He didn't have a particular style of house or price range in mind as much as he had the need to get a "bargain". He had the cash to pay in excess of one million dollars which ten years ago was still quite a bit of money, especially when he was looking for a fixer upper. As we drove down the street he noticed a creepy old house and asked me how much it cost. I said it was not for sale. He said "I want to see it!" I again said it was not for sale. Undeterred he told me to stop my car. We got out and walked past the broken front gate and up the wobbly steps.
I recently looked through the old photos and was reminded of how creepy the house actually was before it was renovated. The current house looks nothing like the house when occupied by the prior owner when the steps were falling down, the rear balconies were ready to collapse, and once great rooms housed relics like a three legged chair and a table in the master bedroom with a slop jug on top even though there was a perfectly usable bathroom ten feet away.
Preferred Properties Key West.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2018 (89)
- The Direction Not Taken
- 903 Eaton Street, Key West - Open House Today
- 5 Brothers Key West - An Homage
- 3810 Flagler Avenue, Key West - Waterfront Estate
- 6800 Maloney Avenue #56, Key West - Affordable Wat...
- Key West and the Slop Jug House
- 1118 Seminary Street, Key West - Just Listed
- 217 Eneas Lane, Key West Florida
- 32 HILTON Haven Road #4, Key West - New Lower Pric...
- 2317 Fogarty Avenue, Key West - Bank Owned - Buyin...
- 702 Catherine Street, Key West - Potential Vacatio...
- Old Town Key West Price Reductions - Time to Buy
- ▼ May (12)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (242)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.