Search This Blog

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Tales from Key West Real Estate - No. 1

The normal practice in Key West is for the Listing Agent to show his/her property to the buyers and his/her agent. This is because many of our properties (especially in Old Town) are unique.

One day several years ago my customers and I were looking at fairly expensive home that was being rented on a long term basis. The tenants were single young adult Europeans. I assume they worked in restaurants.  They were too well groomed to do any manual labor.

The agent first opened a shut bedroom door and took us into the room where the drapes or blinds were shut. We were told to "Sssh!" so as to not disturb the pretty blond girl asleep on the bed. This was early afternoon. 

Next we went into the adjacent bedroom. Nobody was in that bed. The window coverings were open. I remember the place being ablaze with light. We stood inside several minutes discussing the unit. Then the bathroom door opened.  A brief blast of  bathroom humidity burst into the room. A tall blond Adonis walked out wearing a black bikini.  He didn't seem a bit phased by finding us in his room.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find having the listing agent present when we are looking at a property with our buyers agent as awkward and annoying as having the owners there themselves. Providing a more detailed listing to the buyers agent when showing a house along with having the listing agent available by phone or text is more than sufficient. Sorry but listing agents physically present at a showing are in the way . . . even more true at second showings.

John said...

That first sentence is key, particularly the word “unique.” In Key West in particular and in other markets in general if the agent knows not just the property, but the history of the property, the neighborhood, and the city, having that source of information with one as one physically explores the property is, in my mind, an invaluable asset.

Gary Thomas said...

Back in the old days, I would often challenge a listing agent about things he/she said or omitted to say about a particular property. I remember doing so to an agent in my current office on a little house on Baker Lane. He had referred to the house as "historic". I asked who had lived there or what happened to make it historic. He glared at me and mumbled something. Writing this blog and researching when houses were built or renovated has given me a much better appreciation for all that has come before us.

I don't challenge other agents when they speak. If I see something wrong or hear something obviously amiss, I will give my buyer a que or wait till we are alone to discuss.

I never considered the first writer's view of having a listing agent present akin to having the seller present at a showing. But I now appreciate the point. I lost one really good sale around 2004 because the owners wanted to be present at both the first showing and the second showing. My customer was from the UK and royally objected the owners' presence. She was genuinely mad about the intrusion. Every time I go past that property I remember the old snob who used to own it.

Gary

Amy Kerber said...

In mn only the high end homes have a rep from the listing agent present and they stay out of the way. It's nice to have them open it up and operate the alarm system but otherwise I agree it is annoying and I'm a realtor.

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell