Search This Blog

Friday, December 29, 2017

Key West 1989 - A Depiction of the Past


I found the above photo a week or so ago. It was taken in Key West in 1989.  I love this pic.  It depicts how much of Old Town looked nearly 30 years ago. (I invite readers who recognize the location to comment below. I will go over and photograph the location and update this blog.)

January 9, 2018 update. An anonymous reader sent me a google street view of 525 Louisa Street. I made it over there this morning and took the above color photo.  I think this is the same house with the haunting picture of Steve taken nearly 30 years ago. 

I would guess that more than seventy percent of the homes in Old Town have been totally renovated and that less than five percent look anything like the two above. The old wood telephone poles have been replaced by concrete poles which now include fast internet connection, the once heaving and cracked sidewalks have been replaced, and I doubt that you would find weeds growing anywhere in Old Town in the year 2017.

When I first came to Key West I looked at houses like this and imagined what I could do if only  I bought one.

Prices have risen so high that many wish they had bought one when prices were lower.

If you are thinking of buying a place in Key West and are not working with a Realtor, please think about contacting me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642, or by email at kw1101v@aol.com. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Key West. Even though prices have gone up and there is not a lot of inventory of available homes for sale, I tell buyers there will always be new houses for sale because people are always dying, getting divorced, or moving away for various reasons.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary, It looks familar but I cannot put my finger on the exact location. Based on the narrow sidewalk and small houses I am guessing the photo was taken on one of the blocks just off of upper Duval. Perhaps Louisa, Virginia, or Catherine? Happy New Year to you and your readers!

Anonymous said...

Top of Solaris Hill...corner of Elizabeth and Angela.

Gary Thomas said...

Dear Anon, Not Elizabeth and Angela. Go to goo/gl./enn3XV for Google street view of four houses. All of those houses have roof that extends out to create front porch. The house in the photo has a front porch that extends from the house.
Gary

Anonymous said...

Ahh...i see

Matt said...

523-525 Louisa: https://goo.gl/maps/uw3FUus4msr

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell