Thursday, May 29, 2008
Key West Writer's Compound Cottages For Sale -- Historic Property
Just Listed: two individual properties classified as "condos" that are actually stand alone cottages in the Windsor Lane Compound which was established in 1976. The assortment of restored shacks, shanties, and cottages, were once winter homes for writers such as Pulitzer Prize–winning poet Richard Wilbur, poet, lecturer and "Divine Comedy" translator John Ciardi, John Hersey author of "A Bell for Adano" and "Hiroshima", and Ralph Ellison, john ciardi, who wrote "The Invisible Man."
The compound is located on Windsor Lane near the top of Solares Hill, the highest point in Key West.
719 Windsor Lane is the cottage where the John Hersey and his wife lived until his death in Key West in 1993. The property has generous rooms for the Historic District. The unit has two bedrooms and one bath in a space of 930 sq ft. The cottage sits on its own 3451 sq ft lot inside the compound. There is a right-sized private garden as well. The cottages share a lovely pool and mature gardens, all of which are located in an X zone! Each unit is owned fee simple but shares the common areas. This a 55 and over community and offers the right to quiet enjoyment in terms rarely found in downtown Old Town Key West. CLICK HERE for more detailed information and photos.
717 Windsor Lane is a separate cottage of 504 sq ft that sits on a 2121 sq ft lot. The property is marked by its simplicity. Perhaps that simplicity is what inspired the poets and writers that populated the compound. CLICK HERE for more info on this particular property.
Don't expect granite or marble counter tops or stainless steel designer kitchens or vessel sinks. Both cottages are classic Key West. And that ain't bad.
If you would like to checkout either property please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You might even be a poet and not know it. Perhaps the proximity to the greatness of the former owners will rub off on you.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2018 (88)
- ► 2017 (165)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (242)
- Compound Investment -- Key West
- Key West Writer's Compound Cottages For Sale -- Hi...
- Bank Owned REO in Key West
- Who Do You Trust?
- 709 Bakers Lane Key West Open House
- 408 Grinnell St. Old Town Half-Price Sale
- Water-Blogged in Key West
- 917 United Street Key West, Florida
- Sales in the City
- Deal or No Deal
- 728 Love Lane Old Town Key West
- Is the Glass Half Empty or Half Full?
- 730 Passover Lane -- Affordable & Adorable!
- Ripe for the Picking Casa Marina Oceanfront Key We...
- April 2008 Real Estate Sales Report for Key West
- ▼ May (16)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.