Saturday, February 28, 2009
The Realtor I used many moons ago when I decided to look for a place in Key West just listed one of the most sought after homes in Key West. No hyperbole, folks. Just the facts. The property of which I speak is located at the corner of Grinnell and Flager in the Casa Marian area. CLICK HERE to see the details on this property and view the photos of the incredible interior that has not been touched since the house was built in 1935.
The property at 924 Flagler Avenue is a mix of Spanish - Art Deco with a dose of Key West added for pizazz. The floors are a mix of wood and Cuban Tile. The kitchen is original with handmade cabinets from the era as well as that incredible sink. This kitchen reminds me of the old Andy Hardy movies. Oh, I love this! There are companies that sell retro looking kitchen appliances that look like the old but have all the widgets we expect today. CLICK HERE to see what I mean. The current kitchen may not work for today's buyer, but if it does you could save lots of money on redoing this house. Think about it. (I mean update it but leave the cabinets and install new retro appliances.)
The house is 2064 sq ft and has four bedrooms and two and one-half baths. Original as well. Checkout the photos of the palladium windows in the sun room on the east side of the house. Early morning glory! There's a terrace right off that room on the ground level. And I think the second floor would make a great terrace to view the Atlantic Ocean two blocks away. You're gonna need your binoculars to see it through some palm trees, however.)
So you have surmised that the place is dated and will need an expensive renovation. My advice: hire a good designer, a good architect, and a good builder. Use and restore as much of what is in place to maintain the character of the old. No glass tiles, granite counter tops, vessel sinks, or stainless steel appliances allowed.
There is an existing large two car garage on the south side of the enormous lot. I'm thinking you might want to convert that space into a guest cottage. I think you can build a covered carport closer to the street and enclose the entire property in one of those wonderful Key West privacy fences. There is a huge rear yard located west of the house where there is ample space for a large pool and gardens. The lot is 12,366 sq ft or (99'.27 x 125'). It's big.
There are several multi-million dollar homes in the immediate area. 924 Flagler Avenue is a two block walk to the Casa Marina Hotel and the beach.
A place like this could easily be a million dollar renovation. But not necessarily so. Vision, creativity, a willingness to respect a more simple approach might result in an incredible result.
I would love to show this property to a buyer who has wants to fall in love with a part of Old Key West and who has the financial ability to do a renovation this property deserves. If you are that special someone, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (130)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- Everbody's Talking! 924 Flagler Avenue - Casa Mar...
- 615 Grinnell Strret (Rear) - Old Town - Key West
- Bank Owned - Heart of Old Town - Key West
- 1114 Fleming Street - Old Town - Key West
- Key West Condo & Townhouse Short Sales - 2
- 1130 Royal Street - Key West - Buy It Before It To...
- 708 Passover Lane - Old Town - Key West
- I told you so.......
- Key West Condo & Townhouse Short Sales - 1
- 825 Southard Street - Old Town - Key West
- 610 Olivia Street - Old Town - Key West
- 1401 Pine Street - Key West - Former Home of a Lit...
- Key West - Open House Event - Sunday 12-4 PM
- 6 Lopez Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 1221 Margaret Street - Key West
- 2026 Seidenberg - Key West - Mid Century Modern
- January Real Estate Sales in Key West
- ▼ February (17)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.