Friday, October 23, 2009
Bank Owned - 1318 Duncan Street - Key West
A few years back when the cost of single family residential housing in Old Town Key West got to be nearly prohibitive for all but the super rich, several larger old properties and some former apartments were converted into condominiums. As the market heated up even those units started to get quite expensive. Such was the case of the four unit complex at 1318 Duncan Street. The main house was quite large and got divided quite naturally. The larger downstairs unit (1188 sq ft) became Unit # 1. The upstairs unit is 750 sq ft. It became Unit # 2. Two other cottages in the rear that are located on the south side of the large and sunny pool became Units 3 and 4. (Both units are owned by another person who rents each as long term rentals.)
The real estate market turned south. And the two units in the main house turned Deep South. They are now bank owned and they are unwanted. They have been on the market since July 2009. I have shown them a couple of times. The downstairs is large and inviting. It was offered for sale in 2007 by the former owner for $849,000. That owner used it as a legal long term vacation rental and was quite successful with it. The same former owner tried to sell the upstairs unit in 2007 for $475,000. That owner rented it as a long term rental. The market took a downturn and the bank foreclosed.
CLICK HERE to see the current mls listing info provided by listing Realtor along with current photos of the downstairs unit which is now listed for $260,000. CLICK HERE and CLICK HERE to see what the pool and kitchen looked like when it was marketed for $849,000 IN 2007. (Remember, those two photos are two years old.) It is the same place. It's just another typical bank owned foreclosure-almost.
CLICK HERE to see the listing info on the upstairs unit which is now priced at $195,000.
This is the issue as I understand it: The condo association became defunct after the former owner stopped making condo association payments. The association did not have sufficient funds to pay building insurance and make other necessary payments. The bank owner is left with an asset that cannot be financed by another bank because of the defunct condo association.
I discussed this matter with the listing real estate broker about a month ago. I was told the bank owner would prefer a cash buyer that would take both units and let that buyer deal with the condo association difficulties. I believe the bank owner would sell both assets at a discount to a cash buyer.
The downstairs unit has a large private deck off the dining room and the use of a garage CLICK HERE. The interior needs painted and cleaned. The pool and deck area is quite large and very attractive. In better days this place was a showplace. It can be again.
If you are a cash buyer please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642, to arrange a showing on these two units. I would recommend that a serious buyer engage a local real estate lawyer to prepare any offer to purchase this particular property.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (109)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- 1019 Flagler Avenue - Casa Marina Area - Key West
- 511 Frances Street - Old Town - Key West
- 907 Elizabeth Street - Old Town - Key West
- 615 Grinnell Street - Old Town - Key West
- 639 United Street - Key West Charmer !
- Bank Owned - 1318 Duncan Street - Key West
- Let's Celebrate!
- Shark Key - Bank Owned - Waterfront
- 809 Washington Street - Casa Marina Area - Short S...
- Don't Be a Cry Baby!
- Opportunity Knocks - 1317 Reynolds Street - Key We...
- 815 Eaton Street - Old Town - Key West - Short Sal...
- Casa Louisa - 622 Louisa Street - Key West Charmer...
- 906 Johnson Street - Casa Marina Estate - Short Sa...
- La Casa Roja - 1403 Catherine Street - Historic Ke...
- Keep It Simple, Cuz!
- 1218 Varela Street - Key West - Foreclosure
- 1709 George Street - Short Sale - Key West
- 1039 Buttonwood East - Sugarloaf Key - Waterfront ...
- 3 Aster Terrace - Key Haven Canal Property - Key W...
- 3810 Flagler Avenue - Key West Waterfront
- September 2009 Real Estate Sales - Key West
- ▼ October (22)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.