Take a look at the above photo of the big old Revival Style house at 630 Elizabeth Street. It sits at the tippy top of Solares Hill in Old Town Key West. It looks kind of sad and neglected. But it has the character and good bones that attract would-be restorers, people with imagination, strong backs, big arms, and a deep purse.
I took the photos below late Monday afternoon from the second floor that overlooks Windsor Lane as it heads toward the Key West cemetery and also Elizabeth Street where it intersects Angela and Windsor Lane. The views are genuinely incomparable because there is not another house with a similar commanding views.
I found some old photos of 630 Elizabeth Street and the house across the street to the south. These photos put the house into context with the neighborhood and it's location atop Solares Hill.
630 Elizabeth was built in 1887 and was originally a store on the ground
level and had living space on the second floor. The above photo was taken in 1965.
The second storey front porch is missing. I can only imagine how grand the porch could be for a new owner sipping coffee in the morning or nursing a cocktail in the evening. Modern window unit air conditioners hang out over the sidewalk. The house would look so much better if only it were lovingly restored.
Plans have been approved by HARC to convert the present legal duplex into a single family residence. The plans provide for 2300 sq ft of living space on two floors plus conversion of some attic space. HARC even approved a rear third story porch off the rear. The HARC approved architect's plans convey with purchase.
There are several projects going on in Old Town right now where big houses are getting redone. A couple are shown just below.
The above photo shows the second floor interior of 630 Elizabeth Street. The place was modernized in the 1960s. The space is large and has lots of potetial. The ten foot tall walls and ceilings have Dade County Pine and the glass has historic wrinkles it is so old. The views and cross breezes up here are just great. Before air conditioning, windows provided the main cooling for houses like this. Since this house is located at the highest point in Key West, it naturally has the best breezes. And a new owner won't have to buy flood insurance.
CLICK HERE to view the Key West Association of Realtors mls datasheet and listing photos on this property. This is my listing. Please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or send me an email at email@example.com for more information. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West, Florida. If you play your cards right, this could be your Home Buy Christmas this year and your home by Christmas next year.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (101)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- Town Fools, Village Idiots, and Male Activists
- That Was The Year That was in Key West Real Estate...
- The Key West Garden Cottage
- 1021 Johnson Street - Casa Marina Area - Key West
- Merry Christmas
- 813 Eaton Street (Rear) - Old Town - Key West
- Home Buy Chirstmas #10 - Old Town Key West
- 804 South Street - Home Buy Christmas #9 - Key Wes...
- 1025 Thompson Lane - Home Buy Christmas #8 - Key W...
- Key West Short Sale - Prime Location -1012 Southar...
- 630 Elizabeth Street - Open House - Sunday - Key...
- Home Buy Christmas #7 - Historic Seaport Area - Ke...
- Home Buy Christmas #6 - Old Town - Key West
- Home Buy Christmas # 5 - Old Town Key West
- Home Buy Christmas #4 - 626 Grinnell Street - Key ...
- Home Buy Christmas #3 - 1110 Curry Lane - Key West...
- Home Buy Christmas #2 - Key West
- 283 Golf Club Drive - Key West
- Key West Beachside Resort - Unit No. 432 - Bank Ow...
- Home Buy Chirstmas
- 1106 Pearl Street - Key West
- 846 Olivia Street - Old Town - Key West
- A Dream Come True - 920 Cornish Lane - Old Town - ...
- Fire Sales in Key West?
- ▼ December (24)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.