Search This Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Key West - Is that all you got?

I think a lot of people think selling real estate is easy. A Realtor simply sticks a sign in the ground, puts pictures in the MLS, and buyers show up to buy a house.  A Realtor then sends the contract to the title company and a big fat check is wired to the agent. That would be great. But that is not what happens.
I remember the time I had a particularly bad day. (Wait, as I write this I had a flash - when is that not the case? I have so many bad days.)  I got a call from my clients. They had decided to follow my advice and asked me to go to their house to sign the contract I had presented to them much earlier. Many things had happened during the intervening time period, none of which were good, and many which were predictable. I decided to meet with them in person to get the contract signed to reduce the chance of change of heart. I got in my car and headed to my clients' house.   
Key West was particularity busy that day. Tourists were everywhere - in cars, on bikes, walking in streets with go cups, jay walking into traffic taking selfies and dragging kids behind. It was bedlam.

I was sitting at a red light behind a car with tourists. The light turned green. The tourist-mobile did not move. The driver had her left turn signal on and seemed to wait and wait and wait for all the traffic from the opposite direction pass. That is the proper thing to do. Then there was no traffic. Yet she waited. Maybe she had not noticed there was no traffic. I gave a short "beep" as opposed to a blast from my horn. She edged forward but paused long enough that I would have to wait for the next light. She finally turned and stuck her left hand out the window with the middle finger pointed toward God. I accelerated and went stragith through the intersection before the yellow light turned red. I simply laughed and said to myself "Is that all you got?"
I got the contract signed and eventually got my commission. I went through a small amount of hell along the way to get that deal done. Some readers will gripe that Realtors make too much money for so little work. When I was a kid I worked hard for every dollar I made. Physical labor is so easy compared to the stuff I go through now.









9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think you have it bad, try making a living being a Rabbi without a Temple, Church or congregation.
— The Rabbi

Gary Thomas said...

Dear Rabbi, At least you minister to the believers. I talk to myself, write a blog read by non-believers, and get the finger from anonymous strangers. I'd say you you've won.
Gary

Gary Thomas said...

And one more thing - Last week while discussing my new listing on Grinnell Street, I told the sellers I used to be an attorney, was a commercial banker doing loan workouts, worked for the federal government where I shut down savings and loan associations, and now am a Realtor. i said all of my jobs have been occupations everybody hates. He said, no you have not yet become a Comcast Cable Repair Guy.

Gary

Anonymous said...

Wow that is horrible. What a difficult life.

Gary Thomas said...

[b]Wow that is horrible. What a difficult life.[/b]

It is. Sometimes. I wrote in jest. You mock me.

Gary

Anonymous said...

I write in jest as well. Happy Easter Gary!

Anonymous said...

Touché! Points very well made, but as The Rabbi, I don’t even get to celebrate Easter! Good Pesach to all those of the Jewish faith and Happy Easter to you Gary! — The Rabbi Moshe Pippik

Gary Thomas said...

I celebrated Easter by bing watching THE CROWN. So far I am in awe of the Duke of Windsor and has disdain of the entire Windsor Family and al the bobble heads that run the monarchy. I loathe Tommy. What a jerk. This series has made me question how things get done in modern day America and all the issues and allegiances of the past dray down our abilities to get things done today.

Later I ate too much food and dreamed of food last night.

Anonymous said...

I don’t know much about THE CROWN, but I do know a lot about good food; and I know the people of my faith are not experts in fine cuisine. Perhaps the exception is the bagel with lox and cream cheese for breakfast; but when is the last time you heard someone brag about the amazing food at a Jewish restaurant? Never. Yes, the people of my faith love to eat but they do a poor job of eating good food or promoting the Jewish holidays. On Easter, you have prime rib, lamb, all kinds of desserts. It is a culinary feast and it is fun. You even convince little children to paint eggs and then follow a cute little Easter Bunny who gives them chocolate. What do the Jews do? They sit at a table for hours and read out of a pamphlet of prayers in an ancient language that almost no one can read. Then they tell long depressing stories about the suffering and enslavement of our people; and when everyone is starving, we then eat crackers with salty egg soup and bitter herbs. Oy vey, and they call us a smart people?

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell