Search This Blog

Friday, July 12, 2019

Key West Border Patrol Incident

This is a true story.

Sometime during the spring of 2007 the US Border Patrol started to aggressively round-up illegal aliens in the Key West area. I remember one episode that made the front page of our local paper, The Key West Citizen.  It involved the raid on a hotel next to the Home Depot which was being renovated. The contractor had many illegals working on the site. This raid got a lot of locals riled up because of how aggressive it was. And it made illegals very cautious.

That same week I had workers making some repairs at my house. The workers included a man from South Africa, a carpenter from England, two day laborers from Nicaragua (who did not speak English),  an electrician from Ireland, a painter from Poland, and a tile setter also from Poland.

It was around lunchtime a few days after the Border Patrol raid.  The workers were sitting under the palm trees outside by my pool eating lunch. Like many of the homes in the Casa Marina Area where I live, my house has a large privacy fence.  Someone opened the gate without ringing the bell.  All of the workers eyes looked to the north end of the pool and saw male wearing a uniform enter the yard. Everybody but me scrambled and ran out the gate on the south side of the pool where we were congregated.
It took me a minute to figure out that the workers had confused the Orkin Man with a Border Patrol agent. The workers finally made it back to work, but checked over their shoulder for days to come.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I thoroughly enjoyed the story, it was a bit redundant. If you had hired legal American workers, none of them would have actually showed up at all (or at least not sober). Sad!

Gary Thomas said...

It's worse than that. I called a local plumber I have used before. They sent a new hire to fix a leak. He couldn't turn off the water at the street. I told him the older guy who used to work at the same place could. I told him to go back. He got the water off. He had to go back to the office to pick up a flap to install in the toilet. This process took two hours and coast me over $200.

A couple of weeks later FKAA called me to tell me my water consumption was 11,000 gallons. I called the plumber and asked them to come back but not to send the kid. I retold me story. She said "He doesn't work for us anymore." Thanks. It cost me another $200 to fix the same thing.

These were both white Americans. The first guy was incompetent. The second guy very able.

I don't think it is any different any place in America. People used to care about their jobs and their companies.

Gary

Anonymous said...

True. Americans used to believe they were the best and backed it up with good quality products, pride, hard work and fine workmanship. Today, these same so called “workers” fear some brown skinned guy with no formal education, no formal job skill training, unable to read, write or speak English (or even their own native language) fluently. My point is that if you have to fear losing your job to that uneducated and unskilled guy, perhaps the guy you should be blaming for your lot in life is the guy staring back at you from the mirror. Americans used to welcome competition. Today, native born American workers blame others for their own inadequacies, self-induced failures and use it as an excuse. Sadly, if you want to increase the odds a job will get done and get done right, hire an immigrant. Sad!

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell