Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

That's a Wrap in Key West Real Estate Stories 2019



I attended the 60th Annual Old Island Restoration Foundation Christmas House Tour this past weekend where I spoke with a local interior decorator about the people attending the event. I told her that you just can't tell how wealthy some of our locals are by the way they dress. I told her I was in Aspen this past summer and that people there wear their wealth on their sleeves. In Key West most of the really rich and regular folks look and dress alike - tee shirts and shorts. However, I can tell always tell a rich lady by her hair.

Later that day I was talking with one of the docents who I will call Brit. She told me about her new neighbor who bought the very expensive and very well known house next door to her. That was over a year ago. Brit has not met the new owners and said the house has been under renovation ever since it was purchased. The house which sold for well over two million has been totally gutted. She said the noise and dust have been horrible. A couple of weeks workers were ripping out the huge pool to install a smaller one. She is afraid the work will never end. Brit recently saw a distinguished looking woman standing at the front of the property. Brit walked over and introduced herself and asked the lady if she was the owner. Oh, no, Dear. I am the Decorator. I do all of their homes, and boats, and plane. Brit asked the distinguished lady to inform the owners that they have very nice neighbors.

The day earlier one of the tour guests remembered me from the former Club Body Tech where she was a trainer fifteen years ago. We discussed the fun times we had at the old gym which later reminded of another friend from the gym. He and his partner renovated several homes in Old Town in prime locations. He told a story about his about his new next door neighbor to the west whose husband was Mr. Fancy Pants on Wall Street. The couple just purchased a major Key West home which later became the cover story in a famous home design magazine.

Another neighbor lady who lived opposite from the Fancy Pants home crossed the street to introduce herself and welcome the Fancy Pants family to the neighborhood. The nice neighbor brought flowers and invited the Fancy Pants to join them for cocktails. Mrs. Fancy pants accepted the flowers and said they have enough friends. Thank you. And shut the door.  I never met the Mrs. Fancy Pants. I am sure she had great hair. I am sure she wore her wealth on her sleeves.

The Fancy Pants divorced and both left town. For Good.

I will see you all right here next year!



No comments:

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell