Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Number Two


Somebody obviously made a mistake. And, no they did not buy too large a roll of toilet paper.

I was recently invited to see a newly renovated house in the Historic District of Key West. I was ready to be impressed. I went inside and was greeted by a wall of sliding glass doors that open out to the new pool with waterfall. And then my heart sank.

I looked out the living room window and saw the pool on my right and the pool equipment directly to my left. A four foot concrete wall with decorative glass block tiles wrapped the pool with a waterfall. The view of the pool equipment killed the pool for me. I spoke to one of the workers who told me he tried to get the architect to move the pool equipment to a different location. The architect said it was too late. 

I went thru the rest of the house and saw several features I really liked. Then I got to the second floor where the spaces were reconfigured. Two bedrooms shared a Jack-and-Jill bath. This is normally  a really good use or space. It was here as well. Both bedrooms had queen size beds and built in nightstands for lights and drinks. This was a good use of space. But then I realized neither bedroom had a closet. The worker told me the owners were going to use the house as a vacation rental. There was not even enough room for a hotel luggage stand.

I remember a very expensive house in the 500 block of Margaret Street that a different architect renovated for a seasonal owner. The architect did not provide closets in that house. It had everything else - a guest cottage, beautiful pool, expensive Italian light fixtures, sleek Viking Kitchen, but no closets,

I will give this house a solid two in design. 


 

 

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We applaud your honesty Gary. There is a local contractor down here that is constantly cutting corners, cheating customers, blaming subcontractors for his shoddy work.
No names, but the informed folks down here will not touch him with a 10 foot pole.
He will get jobs approved, yet reputable GC’s will not.
Scum.

Anonymous said...

Not to mention that pool equipment looks like it was bought used off craigslist from somebody who torn down their above ground swimming pool. Everybody renovates houses in Key West. Very Very few do it properly. When you see something done right you'll know. Most times you can simply just "feel it".

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell