Tuesday, December 25, 2018
Merry Christmas Everybody! Thank you for reading my ramblings, nostalgic looks backwards, my prognostications about the future, and my buyer alerts for those true bargain properties that still pop up from time to time in Key West. I know it's difficult to accept that a "several" thousands of dollars can be a 'bargain" but who ever thought a movie actor would have become a President of that half of Americans could believe the Russians are our friends. Key West is a tiny little island out in the middle of the ocean. Once you are here, what goes on up north in America doesn't matter all that much. Getting to own your first home in Key West is only the beginning to the rest of your life. Believe!
Thursday, June 14, 2018
CLICK HERE to view more photos of this property.
CLICK HERE to view the Key West MLS datasheet and then please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642, to schedule a private showing. This house will sell fast. It is priced to sell at $849,000. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Key West. This place is perfect for the buyer who wants a great Old Town home in a good location but who doesn't want to spend a million dollars to buy it.
Saturday, March 24, 2018
Six months have passed since Hurricane Irma whipped through the Lower Florida Keys. I live in Key West where most of the damage here was done to our huge old trees and with little damage or no damage to most of our homes.
Some of the people I know that live outside of Key West did not fare as well. This is a truc story of one such couple. I know a lady, husband, and their new born child who live a few miles outside of Key West. They decided not to evacuate but to remain in the Keys for personal reasons.
After the storm passed they returned to their badly damaged home and found a stranger moving about inside. The lady got out her gun and told the culprit to "Stick 'em up!" He complied. Her husband found some rope and hogtied the would-be thief. The lady called the Monroe County Sheriff to report the capture of the burglar. The voice from the Sheriff's Office said we are not open or words to that affect.
The couple were bound to not let their quarry go free. So they loaded the varmint into the back of their pickup truck and took him to the Monroe County substation on Cudjoe Key. They removed the thief and placed him at the front door of the Sheriff's office.
Wednesday, March 21, 2018
The two houses at 1014 Eaton and 1015 Elgin Lane were joined together by the owner to create one larger home. The houses were taken apart and totally rebuilt from foundation up. I suspect the original Elgin house was rotated on its side and the kitchen addition added. New piers, joists, and all building elements were replaced or updated as necessary. New windows, plumbing and electricity, HVAC, insulation, and drywall were added. The original floors were kept, however, and they are in remarkably good shape.
"Because Elgin produced so many watches and produced so many spare parts, they can still be easily bought and fixed, so even a 100 year old Elgin can be used, with care, on a daily basis. While mechanical watches can't compete with quartz watches for accuracy, there is something about having a watch that ticks that a quartz watch just can't replace."
I think the same can be said about old houses like this one.
CLICK HERE to view the Key West MLS datasheet and more photos of 1015 Elgin Lane. Then please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642, to schedule a private showing. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties. I think any buyer will be awed by this beautiful home.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Key West
- Away is the Manager!
- A Thanksgiving Tale from Key West
- 1100 Flagler Avenue, Key West - SOLD
- 1022 Flagler Avenue, Key West - Stunning Casa Mari...
- 1616 Bertha Street, Key West - an Affordable Firs...
- 923 Angela St Key West - Storybook Open House
- 619 Virginia Street, Key West _ Open House Saturda...
- I Know Where You Live!
- 923 Angela Street, Key West - Sunday Open House
- 1901 S Roosevelt Blvd 108E, Key West - Oceanfront ...
- Key West Real Estate Horror Story No. 17
- In Memory of Jerrie on Vertrans Day
- 811 Washington Street #102, Key West, Florida
- 923 Angela Street, Key West - Open House Saturday ...
- 715 Duval Street, Key West - You Won't Believe Thi...
- 1206 Margaret Street, Key West - Move-in Ready
- 723 Windsor Lane, Key West - Key West Writers Comp...
- Two Open Houses This Sunday in Key West
- ▼ November (18)
- ► 2018 (154)
- ► 2017 (165)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (242)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.