Saturday, May 1, 2010
April 2010 Real Estate Sales in Key West
You may have noticed I have written my blog very much this past month. There is good reason: I have been swamped with work. And every Realtor I know is equally busy. April has been an extremely good month for real estate sales in Key West. I am posting raw results that I culled from our mls data base. More sales will likely get posted by other Realtors that occurred in April but that did not get posted by yesterday.
There were 26 single family home sales in Key West for the month of April. Three were bank owned properties and seven were shown as "short sales" although I am convinced more were sold that way because the sellers either brought money to the closing table or part of a loan was forgiven. The average sales price per sq ft for all 26 homes was $393. However, the more important item of note is that there were five home sales with prices above $1,000,000. The average sales price of those five homes was $793. And even more heartening was the sale of one of those quintessential Key West cottages on a lovely quiet lane. The cottage at 3 Hibiscus Lane sold in just six days on the market for $800,000 or $855 per sq ft. CLICK HERE to see what sold in April 2010.
During April 2009 there were just 13 single family home sale in Key West. The average price per sq ft in 2009 was $378 as compared to $393 in 2010. That is a 9.6% price increase over 2009. There were but two single family homes that sold over $1,000,000 last year and they sold for an average price per ft of $612. In 2010 the million plus homes sold at $793.
There also appears to have been a rebound in condo and town home sales in April 2010 as compared to the same period in 2009. This past month there were 22 condo and town home sales in Key West that had an average sales price of $332 per sq ft. Three of those sales were for bank owned properties and nine were short sales. The average price for condos and town homes in Old Town was $459. A bank owned unit at Santa Marie sold for just $414,900. That same unit sold new in May 2007 for $1,300,000. Ouch! Somebody either got a very good deal or a lot of other owners in that complex better watch out!
In April 2009 there were 12 condo and town home sales. Of those, six were bank owned properties and five were designated as short sales. The average price per sq ft in 2009 was $273. The average price for condos in 2010 was $332 in all condos. That is a 18% increase in price per sq ft over last year.
The really interesting thing to report is all of the sales activity or new properties that went under contract this past month. It is incredible. Houses are selling again. So are condos and town homes. A year ago there were few sales at the Golf Course. Now buyers are waiting to make offers. There are only a few homes left for sale in Old Town and Casa Marina area under one million dollars. Nice homes in good Old Town locations are going under contract within days of getting listed.
I don't have the statistics to back up this statement, but I am noticing a lot of new construction activity. Things are picking up, Dear Readers. If you are thinking of buying your place in Paradise, CLICK HERE to search the Key West mls database. If you see something you like, please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc. in Key West, Florida. Our office is the Lower Florida Keys exclusive affiliate of Christie's Great Estates.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (165)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- ► 2014 (212)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- 1130 Royal Street - Bank Owned - Old Town -Key Wes...
- 1800 Atlantic Condominium Penthouse Short Sale
- You Just Gotta See 1106 Packer - Key West
- 1014 Elgin Lane - Key West Old Town Charmer !
- 527 Fleming Street - Old Town - Key West
- Casa Marina Retreat - 1128 Johnson Street - Key We...
- 1432 Virginia Street - Really Big Short Sale - Key...
- 1120 Packer Street - Key West
- 915 Angela Street - Key West - A Homage to The Tro...
- 1318 Petronia Stree - The Meadows Area - Key West
- 1419 Eliza Street - Key West - Short Sale
- 1226 Seminary - Key West - Bank Owned
- The Best Buy in Old Town - Key West !
- 712 Southard Street - Old Town - Key West
- 1305 Reynolds Street - Short Sale - Casa Marina Ar...
- Affordable, Adorable, Doable! Southpark Condo - Ke...
- 1012 Southard Street - Old Town Premier Location -...
- April 2010 Real Estate Sales in Key West
- ▼ May (18)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.