Wednesday, April 23, 2014
1112 Elgin Lane - Old Town - Key West
I searched the historic Sanborn Fire Maps to see if I could determine when the house was built. Elgin Lane currently runs two blocks from White Street to Grinnell Street where it ends. The 1889 edition did not show any houses on the (current 1100 block portion of the lane nor did it even show the lane. The Frances Street to Grinnell Street was then called Hidalgo Alley. The 1889 edition did show nearby houses on both Frances and Fleming Streets. The 1892 edition showed showed the lane with "letters" for addresses as opposed to numbers. Elgin Street was shown on the map for the block running from Frances to Grinnell. A separate lane that runs from White Street and ends at the rear of 1112 Elgin Lane was then called Beach Court although there was no nearby beach. Beach Court is now called Stickney Lane. The 1899 edition clearly showed an empty lot between 1110 and 1114 Elgin Street. It was not until the 1912 edition that 1112 Elgin Lane was included in the map. So we know that 1112 Elgin Lane was built sometime between 1899 and 1912. The porch enclosure is gone from the house but a second story addition was added. The porch was restored and some gingerbread added to give the house some architectural details that do not appear in similar houses located on the lane. I'm not complaining - just stating what existed in the older photos I found.
Harpoon Harry's, just about favorite spot for breakfast or a good old fashioned real cheeseburger. The Schooner Warf Bar is right on the waterfront as are Turtle Kraals and the Half Shell Raw Bar. Coles Peace Bakery (where you can get some great artisan bread and incredible sandwiches) is a block away on Eaton Street. If you run out of bread, milk, or or need an aspirin, BLOSSOMS is located at the end of Elgin Lane on White Street. Duval Street is five minutes to the west. Everything a man (or woman) could want in life are all located within a five minute walk from the house. (Photos of the house are used with permission of Doug Mayberry Real Estate and Michael A. Philip.)
CLICK HERE to view the Key West mls datasheet on 1112 Elgin Lane. Then please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642 to schedule a private showing of this cute Key West property. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Key West. Let me help you find your place in Paradise.
The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Preferred Properties Coastal Realty, Inc.
- ► 2017 (165)
- ► 2016 (176)
- ► 2015 (207)
- 622 Grinnell Street Key West - Back on the Market
- 2 Fletchers Lane Key West ~ One of the Slowest Lan...
- 1025 Von Phister Street - Key West - Open House
- 3B Nassau Lane, Key West, Florida - Just Listed
- 1112 Elgin Lane - Old Town - Key West
- 112 Hutchinson Lane - Key West - Price Reduction
- 1025 Von Phister Street - Key West - OPEN HOUSE - ...
- 1711 Atlantic Boulevard Key West, Florida - A Conu...
- Bank Owned - 1621 Rose Street Key West - Price Red...
- 811 White Street - Key West - New Construction in ...
- 1305 Petronia Street, Key West, Florida - The Mead...
- The Importance of Finding Ernie
- 832 Johnson Lane, Key West - Back on the Market
- 1025 Von Phister Street, Key West - Casa Marina Ar...
- 1006 Packer Street, Key West, Florida - New Listin...
- 326 William Street, Key West Florida - Old Town
- 713 Galveston Lane - Key West
- 1410 Duncan Street - Key West, Florida
- ▼ April (18)
- ► 2013 (234)
- ► 2012 (237)
- ► 2011 (255)
- ► 2010 (237)
- ► 2009 (243)
- ► 2008 (230)
- ► 2007 (170)
Gary Thomas in a Nutshell
- Gary Thomas
- Key West, Florida, United States
- I first read about Key West in a magazine called "After Dark" sometime in the mid 1970's. But it wasn't until March 1984 that I made my first visit to the island that would become my home. I had two weeks for a vacation and reserved a room at Colours Guesthouse (now Marrero's Guest House) for one week. I thought that if I didn't like Key West, I could always go back to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the rest of my trip. But after a couple of days in Key West, that was no longer a consideration. But when I wanted to extend my stay for the extra week I found there was no room at the inn. The guesthouse owner did find me a room at LaTeDa, the infamous guesthouse/restaurant. That's a story I'll write another day. But those two weeks in Key West gave me the realization that I had found Paradise. Key West has been my home since 1993 and my only regret is that it took me so long to get here. I am a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties CRI. Let me help you find your new home or business in Paradise. Living in Paradise is not a slogan, it's a way of life.