Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Debra Winger's Chair or How I Spent My Summer Vactation

Not too long before the pandemic a friend and I traveled to New York City in mid August for a few days. I never experienced such oppressing heat in my life. All eight million residents swarmed around me wherever I went. It was like being dropped into a snake pit. It was a near fatal mistake which I vowed to never repeat. A few days later we rented a car and drove to the Catskills to stay at a friend's house in Calicoon Center, New York. The temperature dropped by maybe thirty degrees and the million of people diminished to a couple of dozen. 

 

We had planned to stay four days in our friend from Key West's bungalow and then drive to Boston. However, upon arrival we discovered another woman friend of the owner had moved into the house along with her aged father. She apparently arrived first and then and called the owner to advise she popped into Callicoon Center and needed a place to stay. They had just completed a cross continent journey in their travel trailer staying with friends along the way. When she learned of our pending arrival she agreed to move back into the travel trailer until we left.

The bungalow was furnished like a vignette in a Ralph Lauren Home Furnishings store except the furniture and decor were purchased at yard sales and thrift stores. Everything was perfectly imperfect. I don't think we had television or air conditioning - not that we need either.

The owner's friend showed up at the house several times while we there. Each time on one pretext or another. I think she was making sure we were not taking in too much of the essence of the place. She would walk right inside without knocking to check on our well being. One morning she brought in a chair that was taking up too much space in the travel trailer. She said the chair once belonged to Debra Winger - they were friends in Arizona, I think. She felt sorry for Debra having to work with Ashton Kutcher in The Ranch. She (the vagabond friend) despised Ashton Kutcher. The chair fit right into the decorating scheme of mix-matched decor. This place was filled with little treasures that once belonged to other people. They, perhaps, found their final home in Callicoon Center across the street with no name overlooking a green field.  This is how second homes should be furnished. Simply and cheaply and comfortably. 

The morning of our second day was totally unlike the preceding torrid days in the city. A light rain followed us as we drove the little roads from town to town. We drove to Bethel Woods to see the Woodstock site. It was the 47th Anniversary of Woodstock. We discussed the legend of how the hippies made their way to this field out in middle of nowhere and how crazy it must have been to be there. Other old and gray people were taking selfies there that day. It made me smile and remember being young. But I got over it. We left Calicoon Center a day ahead schedule.

Debra Winger's chair fit right into that house. Perfectly fit in.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, you found NYC in August more uncomfortable than Key West? I have experienced both and In my humble opinion August in New York City, even on the hottest days, is a piece of cake compared to Key West. The heat index in Key West hovers around 100 during the day and stays above 90 at night for months. That level of heat heat is rare in NYC.

Gary Thomas said...

Dear Sir, I beg to differ. I check the thermometer all the time in Key West. It is dreadfully hot here in the summer. But according to the National Weather Service the mean temperature hovers around 90 degrees every day. I think it is the humidity that makes wearing clothes so awful. I lay in my pool between 10:00 to 12:00 and then go into the air conditioned bedroom when I can.

But that New York City heat was beyond HELL. Add in all those crazy people. Add in all the Karens and Kevins and Selfie Takers and self-absorbed what-evers.

I am so happy I left normal life up north when I did. I would be dead if I had not. I quit several jobs over dealing with dicks as bosses. Even with the heat of summer and the threat of hurricanes and no electricity for a few days, I prefer life on my street with trees with flowers than 8 million people mogging me.

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell