Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

804 Elizabeth Street, Key West - A Perfect Perch on Buzzard's Roost

I went on Realtor Caravan this morning and saw several homes in the Mid-Town and New-Town areas of Key West. Realtors are not supposed to comment negatively about other agents listings so I won't except to say many of the homes built in the mid to later part of the Twentieth Century looked pretty much the same given the year they were built and those that have been recently renovated often look like the owners and contractors got all of their inspiration from Home Depot. Enough said.
Shortly after Caravan I was invited to a Broker's Open at 804 Elizabeth Street hosted by a former colleague, Jeff Dunaway. He was sitting barefoot on a swing on the front porch of the classic Eyebrow House. I asked if I should remove my shoes. No, he said. He invited me inside to eat the catered lunch. I opted instead to look about the house as I had not been inside for several years. I was eager to see the changes. I remembered the pool as being large and very sun-lit as in not having minimal landscaping. I was eager to see the pool which appeared shortly after I entered the house. i saw the pool as I moved from the living room thru the dining room and later a small study at the rear.
The original house dates back to 1874 and has been expanded and renovated by successive owners I dug down into my old shoe box and found a the black and white photo  (below) of the house that was taken in 1965. Two saw tooth additions were added at the rear of the house which are now used as the dining room and study. A separate addition was added to the right rear where the master bedroom and bath are located. There is a small bedroom with bath at the right front of the house. There are three rooms located on the second floor which include a decent sized bedroom, hallway, ante-room, and bathroom.
French doors open from the rear of the master bedroom onto a separate porch overlooking the pool There is an outdoor shower on the far side of the pool. By the way none of the neighbors can see into the yard.
The kitchen opens into the dining room and has a separate glass door that opens out to the covered patio overlooking the pool. I sat pool side and ate two sandwiches and drank a bottle of water. I told Jeff, the Realtor, this house beast any thing we saw earlier in the day. It is among the top of the houses for sale in Old Town at the current time. It is just as cute as can be. That pool is to die for.
This home has a successful history as a monthly vacation rental. You can see why by looking a the photos. Except for the kitchen which is plain, there is nothing about this house that makes you think of Home Depot.  The Dade County Pine walls, the shutters, the pool, the additions and renovations show a totally unique house in a coveted Old Town location. There are two off street parking spaces as well.

While Key West has been inhabited since the early 1820s, most of the population was concentrated around the seaport. This house is located in an area referred to on the 1889 Sanborn Fire Map as Buzzards Roost because it is the highest point on the Island of Key West. Longtime Readers most likely know the area as Solaris Hill - the highest point in all of Key West. I kind of like Buzzard's Roost more. Look closely at the map where you will see notations as to Negro Tenements. I am pretty sure those buildings are now included in what has become the Merlin Guest House. The former convent at St Mary's Star of the Sea Catholic Church was located about three blocks south at Division Street (now Truman Avenue).
CLICK HERE to view the Key West MLS datasheet and listing photos for 804 Elizabeth Street, Key West offered furnished at $1,999,000. The please call me Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642, to schedule a private showing. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Key West. You will fall in love with this house!


No comments:

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell